What's new

RT-N66U nmp_client_list won't stay deleted

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JustTheSoftwareGuy

New Around Here
Hey Everyone,
This is my first post.
I have an RT-N66U running 380.65_0 and I've been having trouble for the last couple of months around my iDevices and windows computers not being able to use the web UI without crashes and freezes of the respective web browser. The router is in a coffee shop and sees lots of traffic.

Found a thread about the nmp_client_list file causing crashing/freezing issues when it grew too large. The file had grown to 160kbytes.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/nmp_client_list-eating-up-all-nvram-space.20491/

I tried to remove it but every time I deleted the file it would come back a few minutes later with more entries like it is a file system copy of something kept in ram and written out periodically with updates.

Eventually deleting the file and directly after that rebooting the router permanently removed it.

Question: Is there an easier way to delete or trim this file? The methods in the other thread don't seem to work for me.

Thanks

Try restarting the networkmap service (untested):

Code:
service stop_networkmap
rm /jffs/file
service start_networkmap

So I wrote a script and also tried manually stop/rm/start for removing the nmp_client_list file. It appears to work but after a few minutes the file re-appears slightly larger than before. It looks like stopping the network map service does not flush the cached contents of the file. So far I have to reboot shortly after deleting the file to get it to start filling the file from scratch.

Any other thoughts?
(This cripples my N66U web interface)

You'll need to clear the nvram value that stores that information as well.

Code:
service stop_networkmap
nvram set nmp_client_list=
rm /jffs/nmp_client_list
service start_networkmap

There's a bug in how Safari behaves with the ASUS web interface on iDevices and occasionally on the Mac but usually clearing the Safari cache fixes that issue.

Should note the Safari crash only appears when using HTTPS.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!