1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-N66u No "guest network" setup

Discussion in 'ASUSWRT - Official' started by Dan.the.man, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Dan.the.man

Dan.the.man New Around Here

When I click on "guest Network" I get this screen instead of the normal setup screen.
    Any ideas? total noob here...
    thanks

Attached Files:

2. OzarkEdge

OzarkEdge Very Senior Member

That's weird. Have you updated the firmware and then reset the router before configuration?

OE

3. Dan.the.man

yes, new firmware 382_51640 and a factory reset

Correction: No, After FW and reset, and in order to fix a problem I have been working on for the last several days HERE I had to use a MAC Clone address. That is the only way I have been able to solve the above problem. Is that causing the guest network to act this way? Is there a way to fix it and still use the guest network?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  4. OzarkEdge

OzarkEdge Very Senior Member

All I can suggest to do with weird firmware behavior is to start over:
    o re-install the firmware;
    o then perform a factory default reset;
    o then re-configure minimally from scratch (no restore).

And then check it out.

OE

DarkKnight75 likes this.
  5. traveler12

traveler12 New Around Here

Same thing happened here, as of a few minutes ago. Updated the firmware and the whole guest network system disappeared. All that is left (at the Guest Network tab) is that same Facebook wifi garbage. I don’t use this very often, but I paid for it as an included feature, and apparently now Asus deliberately disabled it.

Grisu likes this.
  6. Dan.the.man

I was able to get the guest network setup using my phone and the ASUS app. The app seems to be a bit more robust lately, not sure of there was a big update but everything seems to be working now. You just need to use the phone app to get the guest network setup...

7. hfm

hfm Occasional Visitor

That's interesting, I updated to the latest firmware as well not long ago and didn't notice this problem. I usually go through all the settings all over again every time I update to make sure nothing was changed that would be a security issue.

I just re-logged in to check the guest network section and I could see that UI with the Facebook WiFi pop up for a split second before being replaced with my guest network config. Maybe since I already had a guest network configured it's not showing that Facebook UI for me and showing my configured Guest network? Maybe it's region dependent?

I have to admit ANYTHING Facebook related appearing in my router is a big turn-off for me. I wonder how much Facebook paid them to integrate that. I've been wanting to upgrade to an AC router to get faster local network performance over WiFi, might have to look into a different brand.