What's new

RT-N66U or RT-AC66U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

waffles

Regular Contributor
I am trying to decide between those 2 routers.

Key for me is router robustness and stability.

Running Merlin f/w therefore seems to be the way to go.

I am leaning towards the AC, as it offers a bit more future proofing - that said, none of my existing devices support AC yet.

After reading through the official reviews and posts, I got the impression that the AC is not yet ready for prime time. However, some of these reviews were already a few months old and I suspect that in the meantime the f/w maturity level has improved. So this impression may no longer be true.

Again, I am mainly interested in system stability, so the question is ' is the AC there yet' or should I better stick with the proven N?

I would appreciate your insights!

I just purchased the RTAC version the other day and couldn't be happier. While my clients are a mix of G/N, I plan on buying another one and putting it in bridge mode so they can take advantage of the higher speeds. I also added my old G router to the mix as an AP so I didn't limit my N speeds.

I was hesitant in upgrading to AC based on the threads here, but I haven't had any problems. I haven't upgraded my FW and am using version 260 that shipped with the router.

I plunged for rt-ac66u after months of indecision weighting with rt-n66u. I'm just afraid not having the same management facility as provide by Toastman Tomato on rt-n16. It is been running solid since 2 weeks on Merlin 3.0.0.4.270.25, just upgraded to .26 today.

Currently I miss 1) the Tomato static dhcp editable page where ip and hostname can be moved around easily (maybe we can suggest Merlin a future option just for ordering when clicking on column title). Also 2) is the Tomato device status page where rssi and rx/tx can be all seen at a glance (it is still available under wireless log on Merlin). I'm glad that Merlin is based on Asus and itself on Tomato :).

tijaune, thanks for your feedback.

Re: the features you are missing, isn't Merlin's feature set the same for N and AC? In other words, neither one has currently the features you are missing from Toastman's f/w, correct?

Thanks!

I'm not sure to grasp your question but my main criteria was it has to be supported by any Tomato variant and here I am with the AC, still satisfy by Merlin alternative. The 2 mentioned items were not missing, it is just easier with Tomato.

Understood - thanks!

I got my 'AC' today. Flashed it right away to the latest Merlin f/w and am now in the process of setting it up... so far so good.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!