1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-N66U Outlook timing out sorted by reboot

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by Igumike, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Igumike

Igumike New Around Here

I've just set up an RT-N66U using Merlin 380.70 with BT FTTP and occasionally a number of users get MS Outlook times outs/slow synch. This is often first thing in the morning but can occur at other times. Rebooting the router clears the issue, until next time. Any ideas?

2. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

There's nothing special about the RT-N66U compared to any other router that would particularly cause timeouts in Outlook. I think you'll have to investigate from the Windows side to see what the problem is. You could also look in the router's System Log > General Log for any clues.

Does this only happen with wireless clients? Is normal web browsing also effected? Who is hosting your mail server (e.g. BT, Microsoft)?

3. Igumike

Igumike New Around Here

The same router running a different firmware has been fine for the last couple of years but wanted to switch to Merlin as I've never had issues with it. This is a mixture of mainly wired clients and wireless. Hosting is Heart internet. I was wondering if it could be a DNS issue that's being shown up by Outlook? I may swap to Google etc to check. I'll take a look at the logs.

4. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

Yes, DNS was the only thing that came to my mind. Which is why I asked about your mail host. I was thinking that if BT supplied your internet and mail service then maybe you have to use a DNS server that's not publicly accessible. As it is I've never heard of Heart internet so that's probably not the issue.

5. Grisu

Grisu Part of the Furniture

you can try Johns Merlin-fork which is stable and much newer as Merlin stopped N66U support.

6. Igumike

Igumike New Around Here

I had seen mention of that fork when looking at updates. It maybe my final route if I can't get anywhere with this issue. Different firmware and re-configure. Either that or manage to talk the boss into a newer router ;)