What's new

RT-N66U rebooting when connecting Samsung Galaxy Tab S5E wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wildman

Occasional Visitor
Hi!

I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab S5E tablet. First time I've connected the tablet wifi to the router, the router rebooted.

I have two older Samsung tablets: A Galaxy Tab A 2016 and a Galaxy Tab Pro and both connect to the router without making it rebooting. I also have a Dell laptop with a AC network card and the router does not reboot when I connect the laptop to it.

I did check if my router has the latest Merlin firmware and it was the case.

I did reset the router to factory default and this has not resolved the problem.

I was able to connect the Samsung Tab S5E tablet to a D-Link Dir-825 b1 router that has open-wrt installed on it.

Should I replace the router by a newer model?

Thank you!

What is the actual firmware version you're running on it?

After performing a full factory default reset, did you import a backup config file to configure it?

I would suggest using @john9527's RMerlin fork instead. On this old router, that will offer you a secure and up-to-date code and many of the features more current routers enjoy. Not to mention bug fixes that may solve your specific issue too. :)

What is the actual firmware version you're running on it?

After performing a full factory default reset, did you import a backup config file to configure it?

I would suggest using @john9527's RMerlin fork instead. On this old router, that will offer you a secure and up-to-date code and many of the features more current routers enjoy. Not to mention bug fixes that may solve your specific issue too. :)

Hi!

I went back to the original ASUS firmware which is version 3.0.0.4.382_51641 and that did not fixed the problem either. I don't know RMerlin fork, where can I get it? Also I did not import any backup, I set everything back like it was manually.

Thank you! :)

Hi!

I have just installed RMerlin fork firmware on my router. I don't want to insult anyone with this question: as I don't know fork, is the firmware secure? I mean that technically it will not include any backdoor that would allow anyone to get in my home network? I don't know how firmware development work's so this is why I'm asking. By the way I have just re-ordered the same tablet and waiting for it's delivery to proceed with testing and see if the router will reboot again when connecting the tablet wifi to it.

Thank's!:)

is the firmware secure? I mean that technically it will not include any backdoor that would allow anyone to get in my home network?
RMerlin's firmware and John's fork are at least as secure, and probably more so than the OEM firmware. RMerlin has been known to spot problems that ASUS missed, advise them, and smile while they adopt his changes.

By the way RMerlin has stopped providing support for the RT-N66U router. Only John's fork support it now. :)