What's new

RT-N66U reboots to wizard

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bubbagump210

Occasional Visitor
I have an Asus RT-N66U and every time it reboots, it reboots to a setup wizard. The issue is this puts the wifi part of the router offline until I plugin and go through the wizard. The odd thing is that the wizard has saved all of my settings and I just click Next Next Next. Am I missing a "reboot in safe mode" checkbox or something? If the NVRAM were shot, I would expect my settings to be missing which makes me believe this is a software issue, not hardware. ANd yes, I am on the latest/greatest firmware 3.0.0.4.380_8228

I have an Asus RT-N66U and every time it reboots, it reboots to a setup wizard. The issue is this puts the wifi part of the router offline until I plugin and go through the wizard. The odd thing is that the wizard has saved all of my settings and I just click Next Next Next. Am I missing a "reboot in safe mode" checkbox or something? If the NVRAM were shot, I would expect my settings to be missing which makes me believe this is a software issue, not hardware. ANd yes, I am on the latest/greatest firmware 3.0.0.4.380_8228

Maybe it's confused... have you tried Restore to clear all settings and re-configure from scratch... sometimes advisable after a significant/any firmware upgrade.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

OE

Maybe it's confused... have you tried Restore to clear all settings and re-configure from scratch... sometimes advisable after a significant/any firmware upgrade.

OE
I have not. It does feel like it is reverting to some sort of fail-safe boot mode.

I have not. It does feel like it is reverting to some sort of fail-safe boot mode.

I appreciate 'feels like'... it's often my best/only troubleshooting tool! :)

Your described behavior feels unusual, not like a mode, so maybe clearing the NVRAM will heal it.

OE

Bah, just
I appreciate 'feels like'... it's often my best/only troubleshooting tool! :)

Your described behavior feels unusual, not like a mode, so maybe clearing the NVRAM will heal it.

OE
Bah, just what I was hoping to not do. Ah well, I have spent more time troubleshooting than starting over at this point. :)