What's new

RT-N66U Router Name Change ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AnthonyArmato

I'm pretty sure this can be changed but for some reason I cannot find it.

When doing a trace you can see the router is named "www.asusnetwork.net". On my E4200 I could change this to what ever I wanted. Is it possible on this router, and if so where is it located ?

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms www.asusnetwork.net [192.168.1.1]

I'm pretty sure this can be changed but for some reason I cannot find it.

When doing a trace you can see the router is named "www.asusnetwork.net". On my E4200 I could change this to what ever I wanted. Is it possible on this router, and if so where is it located ?

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms www.asusnetwork.net [192.168.1.1]

I don't really know if its possible to change it via GUI since i don't use OFW, but you can use 'nvram show' to search the string and then do 'nvram set name=value(name you want)', then nvram save and nvram commit.

Right on the first page when you log into the web gui of the router, over on the upper right it should name your wireless networks(SSID). You should be able to change it there. As for changing it in network share, that's in the miscellaneous settings of the servers center(USB Application, Servers Center).

Right on the first page when you log into the web gui of the router, over on the upper right it should name your wireless networks(SSID). You should be able to change it there. As for changing it in network share, that's in the miscellaneous settings of the servers center(USB Application, Servers Center).

Wrong names - OP is talking about the predefined URL to the router, not the SSID or share names.

I don't believe there is any way of changing the URL without modifying the firmware directly.

Thanks. It worked for me as stated on the top of the first page.
I changed my name to NSA Surveillance Van 11

I know this is an old post, but this thread was the first result in my Google search on the topic.

Having said that, I found this setting in 'USB Application' in the GUI. Click on the 'Network Place (Samba) Share / Cloud Disk' tab. On that page, when I change the name in the 'Device Name' field, it also changes to the same name when I do a traceroute. By the way, I am on merlin firmware 380.70, but I assume you'll see it as well.