What's new

RT-N66U Speed drop with latest build

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KindOfBlue

New Around Here
Hi all,

I've recently installed the final version of Merlin-.33. Along with the past few .33 betas (both SDK6 & SDK5), this is causing a drop in network speed, noticable after about a day of uptime. After each install I've reset the router to factory settings, and deleted the wireless profiles off of my wireless devices.
Power cycling the router after the speed problem presents itself doesn't help.

Before .33 (I can't remember what revision, exactly), I'd be getting 28 Mb/s down in my bedroom on Speedtest.net, which is exactly what I get plugged into the router with Ethernet. Now I'm lucky to get 2 Mb/s. Upload speed is down to 0.2 Mb/s from 6 Mb/s (and that's if it doesn't timeout).
I went from being able to stream 1080p at 20Mb/s through Plex (both server and client connected wirelessly) to barely being able to do it at 2Mb/s. Range doesn't seem to be an issue with this problem- my Roku is right next to my router and wouldn't pull anything faster even with the server plugged in via Ethernet.

Does anybody have suggestions, or similar findings? It's got to be a firmware issue- older builds were stable and worked fine, and I'm using the same settings I always have.

I'm going to drop down to .32 (and maybe .26b) to see if this problem still exists...from what I've read those are the most stable builds. Would anybody care to affirm that for me?

Cheers!

Edit: RMerlin- anyway I can help you with debugging for a future build, let me know. I'd be happy to send you any logs or whatever else that may help the situation. Thank you for all your awesome work.

Last edited:
Build 26b and build 32 use the same driver as 33-sdk5. Don't forget to reset back to factory default however if between these versions you tried out the regular 33. Also, delete and recreate your wireless profiles on the affected devices.

Build 26b and build 32 use the same driver as 33-sdk5. Don't forget to reset back to factory default however if between these versions you tried out the regular 33. Also, delete and recreate your wireless profiles on the affected devices.

I'll give that a try again, although I've done that after each flash. I'll report back once I have a better idea of the older versions and if this issue is there.

I had this problem and the only solution was a full reset of the router. Your problem may not have the same cause as mine so if a reset doesn't work please don't come after me. :)

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk 2.

I had this problem and the only solution was a full reset of the router. Your problem may not have the same cause as mine so if a reset doesn't work please don't come after me. :)

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk 2.

Full reset as in, holding down the reset button for 5 seconds? Doesn't fix it for me :confused:

Full reset as in, holding down the reset button for 5 seconds? Doesn't fix it for me :confused:

Did you manually reconfigure it afterward? You cannot reload saved settings, it would make pointless the action of resetting to factory defaults.

Also walk through the lengthy troubleshooting guide I posted on the general Asus Wireless forum.

Did you manually reconfigure it afterward? You cannot reload saved settings, it would make pointless the action of resetting to factory defaults.

Also walk through the lengthy troubleshooting guide I posted on the general Asus Wireless forum.

Yup, manually reconfigured. I'll take a look through it thanks