What's new

[RT-N66U] Strange cloned MAC address presented to WAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RocketJSquirrel

On the WAN GUI page, under Special Requirement from ISP: MAC Address, I see the MAC address of an apparently random device.

The device is a Control4 brand 16-channel integrated analog audio amplifier. How random is that?

I have 16 devices on my LAN. I wonder why the RT-N66U and my ISP Comcast have decided to make this amplifier's address my WAN-visible MAC address?

And what are the chances Comcast will do the right thing if I remove this cloned MAC address and reboot my cable modem? Or should I just leave this alone despite its strangeness?

Firmware is RMerlin's 374.32.

[Reposted from the Merlin subforum after I realized this is probably not Merlin-specific. Apologies for the duplication.]

Usually you change your MAC address if you reboot your modem first. You may need to leave the modem turned off for a couple minutes before you turn on the modem and then turn on the router with the original MAC address. It should work with the new MAC address. I would save your old working MAC address in case there is a problem so you put it back the way it was.

I removed the cloned address, left it blank, and applied the change. I then rebooted the modem and router, in that order. A different cloned address appeared in the same field. Now it's the MAC address of an HP printer, which is connected wirelessly. I guess I'll leave it alone since everything works, it just seems strange.

I stumbled upon this issue as well. However the Spoofed Mac address on the WAN side by the Asus (Merlin 380.68_4), is causing router-modem (Comcast ISP / Motorola sb6143) communication issues. Rebooting modem, or router or both have had communication issues whereby the Router says ISP has DHCP problem. Toggling the WAN on/off from the Merlin WAN page doesn't fix it, it just sits there trying to reacquire DHCP. The random device spoofed MAC address by Merlin / Asus seems to be having a handshake / communication issue with Modem causing drops and problem re-connecting. I think it has to do with the Modem truly sensing the hardware Mac address from the router, and not accepting the spoofed communication. The only way to force the spoof to work was via a new Router ISP rediscovery procedure as if it was the first time configuring the router (click on the error message to complete step 1).

HOWEVER, the real fix I am attempting is to use the true physical router WAN MAC address manually typed and saved in the WAN MAC Address field instead of the spoofed value. THis seems to now work and lets me toggle the WAN on and off and have it properly reconnect. Fingers crossed.

Guy
gschlact