What's new

rt-n66u system time wrong!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stsalkit

Occasional Visitor
My time zone is GMT+2. Following the change in winter time, the system time is GMT +3 (ie router is showing one hour ahead of the real one) and there is a message in the Administration / System screen is showing the message " Remind: The System time zone is different from your locale setting".
Does anybody knows what is going on?
If I change the time zone to GMT +1, so the time shown is the correct one, I cannot access internet via a browser?
I am running 3.0.0.4.276 firmware!
Thanks in advance

The issue was allready reported and confirmed here:
Small but persistent issue still remains in the latest firmware: The daylight saving is still off by one hour (in the future) for the GMT+1 setting. This should be not that difficult to fix. All my network-devices, laptops/PC's, tablets, audio & video equipment are set automatically EXECPT the Asus router.... :(

Unless you use strict wireless schedules or parental control, a wrong router time should not be a big deal, or do I miss something?
Wrong router time should not block Internet access, unless per above mentioned schedules.

My time zone is GMT+2. Following the change in winter time, the system time is GMT +3 (ie router is showing one hour ahead of the real one) and there is a message in the Administration / System screen is showing the message " Remind: The System time zone is different from your locale setting".
Does anybody knows what is going on?
If I change the time zone to GMT +1, so the time shown is the correct one, I cannot access internet via a browser?
I am running 3.0.0.4.276 firmware!
Thanks in advance

I am also in GMT+2 and also experienced some problems. Finally I found the solution:

Background:
The router FW has several timezones which are declared as "GMT+2". They are as follows:
1. Bucharest;
2. Cairo;
3. Helsinki, Riga, Tallin;
4. Athens, Istanbul, Minsk;
5. Jerusalem;
6. Harare, Pretoria;
7. Ukraine

I don't know why the time zones with numbers 1,3 and partially 4 exist separately. In numbers 1 and 3 all countries are members of EU, in number 4 one country is EU member (Greece), so for all of them the same DST rules apply (change time last Sunday). For some reasons not all of these work well. I never checked others (non-EU countries), but "EU time zones" (number 1, 3 and 4) seems to be not equivalent for some weird reasons.

Solution:

Change the timezone to number 3. (Helsinki, Riga, Tallin) and everything will be fine.

Remark:

May be the same happens with time zone GMT+1 where many EU countries are distributed in time zones with different names. Even just now I realised that my city (Sofia) is included in one of these, which is definitely a mistake!

Last edited:
Ok, here is the (GMT+1:00) score at this date, Monday October 28, 2013:

1-Belgrade, Bratislava, Budapest = GMT+2:00
2-Ljubljana, Prague = GMT+1:00 - No Manually set the daylight saving time box
3-Sarajvo, Skopje, Sofija = GMT+1:00 - No Manually set the daylight saving time box
4-Vilnius, Warsaw, Zagreb = GMT+1:00 - No Manually set the daylight saving time box
5-Brussels, Copenhagen = GMT+2:00
6-Madrid, Paris = GMT+2:00
7-Amsterdam, Berlin, Bern = GMT+2:00
8-Rome, Stockholm, Vienna = GMT+2:00
9-West Central Africa = GMT+1:00 - No Manually set the daylight saving time box

2, 3, 4 and 9 appear ok now for the (GMT+1:00) choices, but do lack the "Manually set the daylight saving time" box, guess these will not consider DST at all.
As far as I can tell above choices are correcly listed as to be (GMT+1:00), the problem lies in the DST setting.
I guess the choices that now display GMT+2:00 still "wait" for the ending of DST, somewhere the next weeks...to the programmers choice ;-)

Most of Europe is now back to "normal" real time ("Wintertime"), which is 1 hour ahead of UTC.
DST or "Summertime" is the odd one which is 2 hours ahead of UTC.

Source for the programmers:
http://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/events.html

Also mind this one:
The manual DST settings are not much better either.
You can select the start and end month, that is ok.
Then you can select a week number, the usual choices "first" or "last" are missing.
And the days are numbered from 0 to 6 instead of plain Monday to Sunday.
Another area for improvement with low priority.

Last edited:
Hurray! Countries with Central European Time are finally, this weekend (first weekend of November) back to their standard time (UTC+1:00) according Asus :)
A weekend too late!
Asus must really update their DST tables (RT-N66U, firmware 3.0.0.4.374.979).

Europe changes the time time zone the last week of october and US does the first week of november… hope it was the same day for everybody.

That DST period change they imposed on us a few years ago was such a stupid idea. It broke all kind of software/electronics that can't be adjusted to the new tables.

Honestly, if you ask me, we should get rid of DST at all.
I have seen so many applications that got stuck on DST on and off transitions (mostly database applications that lost one hour or got one hour of overlapping data and crash on one or the other). Yes off course, those are the programmers "faults". But, programmers better concentrate on serious problems instead of mind blowing non sense like DST, specially when governments start to hussle the schemes.
DST is one of the foolish things to confuse human mankind instead of helping it. If you want to make use of the early daylight, there is nothing easier than wake up one hour earlier.
It is so nice to notice that even a big one like Apple with really numerous devices thrown in the market does struggle with it.
For those who struggle with it: Spring forward, Fall back :)

Last edited:
And DST wrecks havok with the biological clock too. For many humans, it can take a whole week for their system to fully adapt to the change. This offset the whole notion that "people feel less depressed if it's already daylight outside as they leave for work early in the morning".

DST might have made some sense 30-40 years ago. But today? It creates far too many hassles for what it brings.

Just realized I had the same problem. Had to adjust the DST start & end manually (by default it was off 2 Weeks), now everything is fine again. Checked this website for DST: (http://www.timeanddate.com/time/change/germany/berlin)

f2X544L.png

And DST wrecks havok with the biological clock too. For many humans, it can take a whole week for their system to fully adapt to the change. This offset the whole notion that "people feel less depressed if it's already daylight outside as they leave for work early in the morning".

DST might have made some sense 30-40 years ago. But today? It creates far too many hassles for what it brings.

I always thought the reasoning was so that it wasn't dark out in the morning when the kids are walking to school but from what I've heard from my friends with kids and through observation.....kids don't walk to school anymore, they all get rides from their parents. We've gone from my parents walking up hill through 10" of snow to riding in a warm car. Makes ya wonder how they'll be traveling to school 20 years from now...

Makes ya wonder how they'll be traveling to school 20 years from now...

They won't. Home schooling over the Internet.

Ever read The Naked Sun from Asimov? We're headed in that direction I fear...