What's new

RT-N66U to RT-AC68U > Restore Config Possible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

britchie911

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I have a RT-N66U with extensive configurations made (DHCP Reservations, PF, etc) that I do not want to recreate in a new router.

If I buy the RT-AC68U can I restore the config backup settings from the 66?

Thanks

Yes, the NVRAM Save/Restore utility by john9527 is made for exactly that use.

But I would still reconfigure the new router from scratch instead if you want it to be fully stable.

What firmware are you running on the 'N66U?

If you'll be using different firmware (fork or branch) on the 'AC68U, even the utility may introduce errors too, depending on how many customizations you have done.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/user-nvram-save-restore-utility-r22.19521/

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

The config file is useless when moving from one firmware version to another because it is incompatible. Many software changes may occur between version, new variables are created and some disappear.

Would it be possible instead to save the config file as a plain UTF-8 text file?

For example, the first line being the firmware version and the creation date of the config file,
The other lines could be: name of the variable, value given by the user, plain English description of the variable (3 items per line).
Any value different from factory reset values should be in the config file, any value identical to factory reset values should not be recorded in the file.

May be it would be also possible to load some basic values across different firmware versions like SSID, list of client names, MAC/IP reservation, port forwarding...

The config file is useless when moving from one firmware version to another because it is incompatible. Many software changes may occur between version, new variables are created and some disappear.

Would it be possible instead to save the config file as a plain UTF-8 text file?

For example, the first line being the firmware version and the creation date of the config file,
The other lines could be: name of the variable, value given by the user, plain English description of the variable (3 items per line).
Any value different from factory reset values should be in the config file, any value identical to factory reset values should not be recorded in the file.

May be it would be also possible to load some basic values across different firmware versions like SSID, list of client names, MAC/IP reservation, port forwarding...

Did you even read the post (and links) right above yours? ;)

I suggest you to reconfigure the new router from scratch. It's the best way...
New router from box -> update firmware -> a restore with new firmware -> Router configuration

In response to the opening post, I would configure the new router manually, as it's the cleanest way to do it.

I haven't used the NVRAM utility yet, but I have looked at its help files for some Telnet guidance.

I don't mind manually configuring things when it's a big firmware change or change of router, because I like going through each page to see all the options. So what I've done is use some basic Telnet to get the Parental Control rules, DHCP reservations and Port Forwarding rules into a text file for each and then after I've manually configured everything I use Telnet to set these files to the router last. It has saved me a lot of copying and pasting, but I would like to have all of this output in one file and do one get and one set, so I need to figure that out.

The NVRAM Save/Restore utility by john9527 shows all your settings as text based output if you want.

Best of both worlds. :)