What's new

RT-N66U ... VNP Service Start/Stop from Telenet Command Line

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

smarty125

New Around Here
I am trying to start/stop my pre-configured Open VPN clients from the telnet command line. Like below:
"service start_vpnclient1 and service stop_vpnclient1"

Background:

I have a RT-N66U =>stock firmware (ver:3.0.0.4.380_8120) latest as of March,2018.

From the stock ASUS web interface, I have set up, and can sucessfully turn on and off my Open VPN clients. From Googling this forum (and past experince with prior ASUS firmware) I know that "service start_vpnclient1" or "service stop_vpnclient1" should work. For a small amount of time, I believe I had this working. However, soon thereafter, I upgraded firmware to the latest stock ASUS firmware (ver:3.0.0.4.380_8120), and these telenet command line instuctions then no longer worked.

I have no experience with NVRAM or any associated commands; or running router scripts for that matter. I have stayed with the stock ASUS firmware because it has done everything I have needed (up until now). No experience with flashing over to DD-WRT, but that could be a future option (if nothing else with the stock firmware works).

Here are my questions:

1) Can anyone confirm that the stock ASUS firmware (ver:3.0.0.4.380_8120) no longer allows for turning on/off pre-configured Open VPN clients?

2) Might this new firmware version require some additional commands to start/stop a VPN client? Ideas?

...if all else fails...

3) Will the newest DD-WRT firmware allow for vpn command line control (since the ASUS and DD-WRT firmware are quite "close", maybe the DD_WRT firmware will lose this command line ability also)?

4) I there any sort of listing for either stock or DD-WRT firmware that shows the command line functionality that corresponds to the web interface functionality? Again, looking for the ability to control my router from the command line (that way my home automation system can control the router).