What's new

RT-N66U vs RT-AC1200G for DHCP and WAN gateway

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Colombo

New Around Here
My network covers a large home and is comprised of two ASUS RT-N66Us (one of which handles WAN gateway and DHCP), an ASUS RT-AC1200G and four Netgear GS605v3 unmanaged gigabit switches. The second 66 and the 1200 are access points connected via Cat 5e backhaul to the primary 66. Approximately 15 wired and 20 wireless clients connect to the nework at any one time doing anything from file back up to multiple HD streams to lightweight browsing and email. Performance is excellent and reliability is absolute.

Given that I wouldn't be compromising wireless AP placement because I have a spare Cat 5e cable already laid that I can use for the WAN, will I gain some headroom if I swap my my primary 66 for the 1200 for DHCP and WAN gateway duties? The idea is prompted by the 1200 having the stronger CPU but I ask the question rather than just trying it because from what I have read the 66 might be the more externally secure router of the two.

Many thanks.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!