What's new

RT-N66U WAN Speed Slow

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gclimer

New Around Here
I'm using the RT-N66U (fw: 3.0.0.4.374.35_4 (Merlin build)) on a 1 gbit WAN connection.

When the router first boots up, I can do a speed test and I get >900mbit/sec. After an arbitrary amount of time, it drops significantly - sometimes dropping as low as 9mbit/sec. Once I reboot the router, all is well again.

I ran an test using iperf to make sure it wasn't the LAN ports flaking out on me - I'm getting >900mbit/sec for LAN traffic even when the WAN speed is slow.

This happens on every firmware that I've tested. I even tried out Tomato (shibby), but it won't even support the full 1gbit WAN speed at all. I think the max throughput I got with Tomato was in the 200mbit range.

I realize that 1 gbit connections are rare - but has anybody else experienced their WAN speed dropping like this?

EDIT:

Poking around in the web interface, the WAN port link state is now "10 Full Duplex" - so it seems like the auto-detect is freaking out and dropping from "1000 Full Duplex" down to either 10 or 100 at times.

Last edited:
That's why you have to test a with a new cable. If the cable is fine; then the modem or the WAN port on the router may be faulty (I would get the ISP's modem replaced first).

My ISP doesn't have a modem - the fiber comes in directly to a main box on the side of the house, and then a cat5e cable runs from the box to the inside of the house. (Not to say the box outside isn't faulty, just unlikely, considering it was replaced only a few months ago when they upgraded my connection to 1gbit.)

The problem is that the issue happens so sporadically - there's no rhyme or reason, and I can't cause it to switch on-demand. So it's possible that a new cable will work for several hours (and in fact, unplugging the current cable and plugging it back in has been working for a couple of hours now).

If another cable does the same thing, I'll loan it to a friend who also has the same ISP and same speed to see if it's occurring at his house - that would help rule out the ISPs equipment.

It wouldn't rule out the ISP's equipment for me (they are responsible to replace it, correct? On their dime?).

Have the cable checked (seems it is not easily replaceable) and maybe re-terminated.

If the WAN connection speed indicates that it still fluctuates, then try a switch or another router to test your current routers WAN port. Then you'll know for sure if it's the ONT connection or your router's WAN port (or; maybe re-terminating the CAT5e cable fixes everything for you).

Sorry, what I meant was that I would loan my router to my friend to test at his house - if the router acts the same on his connection, that's a pretty good indication it's the router, considering his pfsense router doesn't seem to have this issue.

I already ran a new cable from the ONT to inside the house once - and that was because the cable coming in was DEFINITELY bad and only did 100 mbit. After I replaced it, I connected my laptop directly to the connection (bypassing the router) and the speed test registered between 900 and 1000 mbit.

I'm going to play around with different cables later when I notice the speed drop again. No sense in doing it now while they're holding steady.

Hi

any news on this..
I am experiencing something similar..

I have 1Gbit, and asus ac66u, and speeds maxing at 150/200..
removing the asus and testing directly gives me much higher speeds..
I don't see an initial high speed.. just the low speed..

will have to check the wan port link state..