What's new

RT-N66U WAN to other router LAN connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gordon1M

Occasional Visitor
I would like to create a subnet by connecting the WAN port of my RT-N66U to the LAN port of another router. Can I do this with the N66U running stock firmware or must I use RMerlin, Tomato etc? I am seeing WDS in the N66U setup but most of the discussion I have seen is about bridging, which I don't want to do.

Thank you
Gordon1M

Yes you can with stock firmware.

Local LAN IP settings for each router;
Router one should have 192,168.1.1 -- WAN Connection Type - Depends on your ISP
Router two should have 192.168.2.1 -- WAN Connection Type - Auto DHCP

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply, KGB7. Unfortunately, I realize that I left something rather important out of my question. This is that I want to make the LAN port -->WAN port connection wirelessly. I think that this means that I want to use the N66U as a repeater. From what I have since read elsewhere, I believe that the answer is probably "No" with the current stock firmware. I think that this probably means that I have to run DD-WRT. I have noted that DD-WRT on my WRT54GLs provides both repeater and repeater-bridge modes.

I also wish to control wireless access by MAC address filtering. I presume that I can still do this when using DD-WRT with the N66U, when working in repeater mode.

Thank you
Gordon1M

you could probably do this by manually configuring iptables to NAT the wireless interface to the bridge, on the secondary router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!