What's new

RT-N66U Weird Problem with Parental Control

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

harpo1

New Around Here
On my daughters laptop I setup Parental Control earlier in the week and all was working well until today. She told me she can't access the internet even though it's set to allow access. So I troubleshot it to the 22-23 hr block for Saturday. If that's selected to allow access the internet goes down for this laptop. Anyone have any ideas?:confused:

Sorry forgot to mention I'm running Merlins 3.0.0.4.372.31

It was set to allow access all week with no problems but now that it's Saturday no internet.

Last edited:
Check the routers time is accurate. It was very difficult to set it to keep the right time here in the UK with DST.

That's all I can think of. Good luck.

I've had the same today having just returned from holiday and my kids couldn't access the Internet.

I was using 372 stock firmware, got the same after upgrading to 374 and so ended up disabling parental controls for now.

I noticed it as well, had to have parent control disabled.
it's fine for a couple of days then it blocks all. no matter what time is set.

Chris

Good day,

bought this Router 2 weeks because of the Parental Control.
Installed FW 3.0.0.4.374_257 and noticed that PC does not work at all :mad:
Internet is blocked when it should not be and vice versa. Checked and double-checked time settings and filters, no problem on this side.

Just wrote to the support and hope they will have a fix for this, otherwise the router returns to sender.

Very strange, I always had a very good opinion of Asus, making good working stuff ... But messing up such a basic service :confused:

Good day,

bought this Router 2 weeks because of the Parental Control...

Just wrote to the support and hope they will have a fix for this, otherwise the router returns to sender.

Very strange, I always had a very good opinion of Asus, making good working stuff ... But messing up such a basic service :confused:

I would very surprised if Asus ever comes up with a fix ; they are very well aware of this long standing problem but it does not seem to be very high on their list of things to do . Basically they don't care all that much for the parental control feature and they are not willing to invest their time on it. I wished I discovered that early enough to return the router. They are hanging you up so you don't return the it. I lost my trust in Asus long ago.

problem solved for no internet on saturday with the asus rt-n66u router

Hello,

I had a problem with the asus rt-n66u router that some devices doesn't work on saturday.

Today I did a test and discovered the problem.
When you give access completely on saturday from 07:00 till 24.00 hours you don't have internet access e.g. on 09.00 hours

If you give access from 07.00 hours till 23.00 hous you will have access e.g. on 09.00 hours.

I send a message to asus tech support and hope dat they will solve this problem.

Regards,

Thom van der Meulen

Hello,

I had a problem with the asus rt-n66u router that some devices doesn't work on saturday.

Today I did a test and discovered the problem.
When you give access completely on saturday from 07:00 till 24.00 hours you don't have internet access e.g. on 09.00 hours

If you give access from 07.00 hours till 23.00 hous you will have access e.g. on 09.00 hours.

I send a message to asus tech support and hope dat they will solve this problem.

Regards,

Thom van der Meulen

What firmware version? The problem you describe should have been fixed a few months ago.

I'm getting the same behavior here. It was working prior to 3.0.0.4.372.35_4 but at some point a week or so ago I went in to change the allowed times for Christmas break and suddenly it wouldn't allow access no matter what the allowed times were set at. I had to turn it off. Yesterday I installed the latest (.36_b1) and am still getting the same issue.

I did verify that the system time and the allowed access times were both set correctly.

I know the access controls have always been spotty but would love to have them working if possible. :)

Asus rewrote the Parental Control rule generation in 374_501, so wait for the next release and see if it works better for you. The PControl code I'm currently using seemed fine with all the specific scenarios that were tested, but there might be some very specific scenarios that still had problems generating the correct rules.

You can also try deleting the device and re-creating it under Parental Control in case your rules might be somehow corrupted.

I have had similar problems. I am running firmware 3.0.0.4.374_979. All was working well until I tried to modify the times my kids could access the internet over the Christmas vacation. I added 1 hour blocks to the allowed time each day, and all of a sudden my son's computer had no access at all. After much trial and error... it appears that if you allocate time as a continuous block each day (i.e. select say 0500 - 2300 as one selection), it works. If you select each hour separately, or in several contiguous blocks, it doesn't. I could be wrong, and all that has happened is that some other (random) event caused it to work, but it is working now, so I am going to leave it alone. I'd be interested to know if this works for anyone else.

I have had similar problems. I am running firmware 3.0.0.4.374_979. All was working well until I tried to modify the times my kids could access the internet over the Christmas vacation. I added 1 hour blocks to the allowed time each day, and all of a sudden my son's computer had no access at all. After much trial and error... it appears that if you allocate time as a continuous block each day (i.e. select say 0500 - 2300 as one selection), it works. If you select each hour separately, or in several contiguous blocks, it doesn't. I could be wrong, and all that has happened is that some other (random) event caused it to work, but it is working now, so I am going to leave it alone. I'd be interested to know if this works for anyone else.

Asus's 374_979 is known to have issues with Parental Control. The fixes were only made in Asuswrt-Merlin, and possibly in the latest AC56/AC68U firmware.

Control parental fixed in the last version 3.0.0.4.374.4561

The last firmware fixed the control parental problem I got since I upgraded the firmware two months ago (3.0.0.4.374.720)
ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.4561
Improvement:
1. Redesigned the parental control time setting UI. <<<<
2. Updated multi language strings.
3. Adjusted FW checking algorithm.
4. Adjusted Time zone detecting algorithm.
5. Improved web UI performance.

I concur I've been very happy with parental features and not encountered any problems in recent builds...

Two things I single out to any parent are:

- Per device time based access controls (absolutely key)
- Per device dns access control with THREE choices for filtering:

OpenDNS
Home = Regular OpenDNS server (manually configurable through their portal)
Family = Family Shield (pre-configured to block adult content)
Norton Connect Safe (for home usage only)
Safe = Malicious content
Family = Malicious + Sexual content
Children = Malicious + Sexual + Mature content
Yandex.DNS
Safe = Malicious content
Family = Malicious + Sexual content

I've been trying Norton though I use OpenDNS in the normal router settings where I've manually configured the secruity.

Highly recommended to a any parent.

~Steph