What's new

RT-N66U will not log ACCEPT packets [FIXED]

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dewils80

New Around Here
Hi all,

First post - sorry it's a problem and not a "hello".

My RT-N66U stopped logging ACCEPT packets after I updated to the 380.58_0 firmware this morning. Before that it was working fine, and forwarding the syslog onto my monitoring machine. Since the upgrade I can see (and forward) all debug events, DROP packets and DHCPREQUEST/ACK messages in both the syslog and on the monitoring machine. But no ACCEPT.

Just to check, my firewall is enabled and set to BOTH (setting to ACCEPT does not work either). My log level is 7. I've tried not forwarding the syslog. I've even done a factory reset and reconfigured everything (laborious) again, but it still doesn't work.

Searching here hasn't brought up any similar threads - so has anyone got any ideas what to try?

Thanks,
Phil

Any ideas anyone? I'm all out of things to try.

Does anyone know of anything for me to try via SSH? Where are the rules for what gets to syslog stored?

Right - FIXED.

In case anyone else every finds this issue, it's caused when you have Parental Controls switched on. I restricted my IP cameras from internet access (only used in the house), which switches on the parental controls. This setting seems to stop ACCEPT packets being logged. Is this a feature, limitation or a bug?

Works for me. I configured a client with Parental Control on, and still get ACCEPT log entries in syslog.

Is there something I can do to help development/debugging? Are there logs to capture whilst replicating the problem?

Check what iptables rules are created. I can't see any technical explanation for what you describe, unless you are customizing your firewall rules through a user script.

You could also try disabling NAT acceleration, in case it prevents the router firewall from intercepting those new connections.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!