What's new

RT-N66U with powerline wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Iceberg

Occasional Visitor
Hi all.

I don't know if it is a stupid question, maybe it can not be done, i have not tried before so i don't know.:eek:

This is the situation.

I have been asked to setup a small network with RT-N66U for a friend of mine.

It's all good but no matter how we tried, we are not able to reach a part of his house. It's an old house with thick walls.

Switching channels, use new antennas (8dbi) change router location did not give good results.

The wifi signal is detectable but clients almost cannot connect or drop frequently connection.

At best we have seen -85 dbm with new antennas (before was near -90 or undetectable) but even with new antennas sometimes signal disappear.

So we thought to use a powerline.

Tried with a borrowed classical powerline and it's ok but he needs to have a wireless connection.

How about a powerline wifi?

Before trying by myself and make him buy a powerline wifi I would like to know if it's possible to have an additional Wi-Fi guest network this way and have complete control on this additional Wi-Fi network.

I mean, parental control and access logs?

Thank you in advance for you replies. :)

Get another N66 router and set it up as a repeater.

It is a good suggestion, I thought to use a powerline because it's only a part of the house with undetectable signal.

There is also some problems.

The problematic room is frequently used by guests.

It already happened twice in a year to find a classical repeater broken by having it for sure fallen from where it was.

With a costly router the risk is even higher.

A Wi-Fi powerline could be hidden and positioned in a safe place and maybe last more than the two repeaters.

Also we have not many places where to position a second router because the thick wall make sometimes the main signal to disappear.

I thought that a powerline Wi-Fi could bypass the problematic wall, cost less and also be hidden.

Then you hide the router in same spot where you would hide the powerline wifi adapter. No one said it has to be sitting in the middle of the room for every one to trip over.

Then you hide the router in same spot where you would hide the powerline wifi adapter. No one said it has to be sitting in the middle of the room for every one to trip over.

Unfortunately where want try to hide the powerline, there is no good signal, I saw a -90 at best, frequently no signal.

Where we have to place a second router there is no way to hide it properly.

I'm beginning to think that there is no solution.

Unfortunately where want try to hide the powerline, there is no good signal, I saw a -90 at best, frequently no signal.

Where we have to place a second router there is no way to hide it properly.

I'm beginning to think that there is no solution.

I'm not sure if I understand what the problem is, but if you need wifi powerline, then try link below. I'd go refurb to save money.

One of the forum members (sinshiva) wrote code to turn port 4 on asus into a vlan so it's probably possible to isolate the powerline from main network (similar to guest network) as long as you plugged in to port 4. Search sinshiva's posts. No idea about logging or parental controls. I'd have to think about it or someone else might be able to answer. If it doesn't work, return it and go with plan B.

http://www.linksys.com/en-mea/products/powerline/PLWK400

I've used that product (not at my house). Worked fine.

On March 4th Tim previewed on the home page of this web site the TP Link TL WPA 4220.

It is an AP that connects to your router using Powerline technology.

For $60 it would probably solve your friend's problem.

Setting up wireless repeaters should be the last resort. At best you will reduce your throughput in the room by half and with the weak signal the results would probably be worse.

Well, I don't know where you are located and this is not going to be cheap, but...

...assuming powerline quality works for you, there *are* in-wall solutions available for both, powerline and wireless-AP.
Just replace a double wall-power outlet with one powerline module and one with an AP.

I'm not sure if I understand what the problem is, but if you need wifi powerline, then try link below. I'd go refurb to save money.

One of the forum members (sinshiva) wrote code to turn port 4 on asus into a vlan so it's probably possible to isolate the powerline from main network (similar to guest network) as long as you plugged in to port 4. Search sinshiva's posts. No idea about logging or parental controls. I'd have to think about it or someone else might be able to answer. If it doesn't work, return it and go with plan B.

http://www.linksys.com/en-mea/products/powerline/PLWK400

I've used that product (not at my house). Worked fine.

Thank you, this is interesting.:)

I will give a look to this powerline.

Will do some search on the forum to turn port 4 into a vlan, it could be what i'm looking for.

Maybe I have not explained clearly the problems, I apologize.

A second router is a good choice but to have some possibility to work in this situation, should be placed in a position that is easy to reach for guests.

In that position two repeaters were broken.

There is also a risk that a theft could be attempted, so that why i'm looking a different solution.

Easy to reach? Or, not easy?

If theft is an issue, build or buy a shelf and screw and glue it where you want.

On March 4th Tim previewed on the home page of this web site the TP Link TL WPA 4220.

It is an AP that connects to your router using Powerline technology.

For $60 it would probably solve your friend's problem.

Setting up wireless repeaters should be the last resort. At best you will reduce your throughput in the room by half and with the weak signal the results would probably be worse.

This also could be a solution, thank you.

I will give a look also to this powerline, from tplink webpage of the product it seems to do what I need for the wifi signal.

Throughput is not a big problem, also reduced by half it should be enough.

Easy to reach? Or, not easy?

If theft is an issue, build or buy a shelf and screw and glue it where you want.

Easy, unfortunately...

The second time the repeater was on a shelf, have been fixed with glue and some screws...it was still there but broken.

Well, I don't know where you are located and this is not going to be cheap, but...

...assuming powerline quality works for you, there *are* in-wall solutions available for both, powerline and wireless-AP.
Just replace a double wall-power outlet with one powerline module and one with an AP.

Thank you Ford Prefect.

I'm in Italy.

This solution probably could give the best coverage.

It's for sure not cheap but some of the money spent on the AP could be spared on the powerline.

I have to check if this solution can be hidden well.

Thank you, this is interesting.:)

I will give a look to this powerline.

Will do some search on the forum to turn port 4 into a vlan, it could be what i'm looking for.

Maybe I have not explained clearly the problems, I apologize.

A second router is a good choice but to have some possibility to work in this situation, should be placed in a position that is easy to reach for guests.

In that position two repeaters were broken.

There is also a risk that a theft could be attempted, so that why i'm looking a different solution.

Here's vlan post by sinshiva.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=14983

Again thank you for your help.

I didn't had the time to work on it for some days, now I have here a TP-Link 4220Kit powerline to do some tests.

I discovered fortunately that my neighbor have bought it some weeks ago.

Now it's outside for a week so he have given me the powerline to try and see how it works.

Maybe it's not a clean solution like the one proposed by Ford Prefect but it's ok for a test and by itself it seems to work very good.

I read the post by sinshiva and I am trying to have lan 4 working as private network with RT-N66 but at the moment with no luck.

I have copy pasted the two scripts and saved correctly in jffs but I receive error 126.

I have for sure to edit the scripts with my IP but anytime a try the only result is that the powerline wifi stop working and the clients are not able to connect to internet.:confused:

Probably i'm doing something stupid but I don't know what it is.:confused:

I will try to ask to sinshiva, maybe he or someone else can explain to me that i'm doing wrong.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!