What's new

RT-N66W with Merlin not compatible with Win8?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ab2c4

Occasional Visitor
I just bought the Asus N66W three days ago. Hooked it up two nights ago, put the latest Merlin version on it and only did basic configuring: set the SSID and password. Everything works great for the following devices:

3 Win7 computers
1 MacBook Air Laptop
2 ipads
2 Android tablets
2 iphones
1 Android phone
Apple Tv
Samsung blu ray play

My windows 8 computer will not connect to the Asus router though. The one year old pc had no problem connecting to my old wrt54gl running Tomato. It also connected with no problems to my neighbors Netgear router last night as I was testing. It will not connect to the new Asus router though. It can see it and when I try to connect to it I enter the password (did this dozens of times, no way I typed the password in incorrectly 50 times lol). Windows 8 keeps telling me that I entered an invalid security key.

I have tried googling this but haven't found anything that has resolved this issue. Is there something I need to change in Windows8 to make it work with the Merlin firmware? Is there something that I need to change in Merlin to make it work with a Windows8 pc? The wireless NIC I am using on the Win8 pc is a HAWKING HWUN4 Hi-Gain Wireless 300N Network Adapter.

Any help would be appreciated. I have tried everything I can think of and nothing has worked, it's very frustrating.

Edit*** I am new to this site and just realized there is a Merlin sub-section on this site for it. I reposted this over there, not sure if this thread needs to be locked here now.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!