What's new

RT2600ac with Pi-Hole + recursive DNS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Strangy

New Around Here
Hello everyone,
I recently configured Pi-Hole on my Proxmox and am currently trying to configure it to work properly combined with my Synology RT2600ac.
Until now I used NextDNS with DoH directly on my router but I want now to replace it with Pi-Hole as recursive DNS directly on my entire home network.
Unfortunately, I couldn't configure it properly as I was getting into loops that I couldn't understand perfectly.

This is my current working configuration : https://i.ibb.co/g7gpR3H/Internet.png
This is my working local network configuration : https://i.ibb.co/x7tp77G/Local-Network.png
This is my Pi-Hole DNS settings : https://i.ibb.co/Dp9tXY3/DNS.png

I tried to directly change the main "DNS Server" found in Internet category with the Pi-Hole IP but then I was entering in a loop since I had no upstream DNS.
I tried to change the "Preferred DNS Server" found in Internet category while keeping NextDNS as main DNS.
I tried to keep the Internet category with NextDNS as main DNS and also "Preferred DNS Server" (as seen on the first picture) while settings the "Primary DNS" in Local category with Pi-Hole IP but without success.

I know there is something that need to be corrected but since I am only an amateur I can't figure out what it is :(

Pi-Hole itself cannot be set up as a recursive DNS server, you need to use it in combination with "unbound" or a similar program to do that!
Once you have Pi-Hole set up, you'll need to get your DHCP to point your LAN clients at the Pi-Hole. Initially, you'd point your Pi-Hole at upstream DNS servers, only changing to the unbound recursive server on port 5335 once that has been installed.

*If your Proxmox is a remote virtual machine there are going to be additional complications with the set-up and its security

Last edited:
Simpler... DHCP option to use the IP of the pihole as the DNS server.

Code:
Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6E AX210 160MHz
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : D8-F8-83-D9-30-14
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.170(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2  <<<<<<<<<<
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

1654050839049.png

Pi-Hole itself cannot be set up as a recursive DNS server, you need to use it in combination with "unbound" or a similar program to do that!
Once you have Pi-Hole set up, you'll need to get your DHCP to point your LAN clients at the Pi-Hole. Initially, you'd point your Pi-Hole at upstream DNS servers, only changing to the unbound recursive server on port 5335 once that has been installed.

*If your Proxmox is a remote virtual machine there are going to be additional complications with the set-up and its security
My proxmox is on my home network and I already have unbound installed on the machine where Pi-Hole is hosted (followed this : https://docs.pi-hole.net/guides/dns/unbound/)
But it is after this point that I'm getting stuck because I don't know how to configure my router so that everyone connected on local network goes through Pi-Hole because I have many devices connected and it will be very time-consumming to manually configure each device

Simpler... DHCP option to use the IP of the pihole as the DNS server.

Code:
Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6E AX210 160MHz
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : D8-F8-83-D9-30-14
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.170(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2  <<<<<<<<<<
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

View attachment 41502
This solution is working but the problem is that I want to directly configure this on my router beucause I have many devices connected and it will be simpler to configure it once for everybody

Turn off DHCP on the router and use the pihole for DHCP then. Or whatever you're running pihole on setup isc-dhcp-server on it for DHCP and put the pihole in as the DNS server being issued to the clients.

I was able to fix the issue by reinstalling entirely the VM and now it is working (when I try on dnsleaktest.com I get my IP address).

Love Pi-Hole and ran it alongside unbound for years, I'd not be comfortable though with using it as the DHCP server when being run on a virtual machine!

In your specific case I'd be looking at:
General> Local Network> Primary DNS Server: 192.168.1.100 (assuming that is the Manually Set IP of the Pi-Hole and Unbound)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!