What's new

Rt86u or r7800

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

oldlady

Occasional Visitor
hi,
New user here. I’ve read many threads and have come to the conclusion that the 86u is the router to get but I feel that there are enough issues with it that I should ask my question.

I have a tmobile cellspot AC1900 with the default several year old firmware as my main router behind a FIOS modem in my basement.
I have wired ethernet to the 4 corners of the house. I have 3 old routers as APs on the wired ethernet.

I would like a strong signal to the 2.4 ghtz devices, like ring cameras and doorbell, other IoT devices, especially outside.
I wanted to update the main router and then use the tm-1900 cellspot as an additional AP. That t mobile cellspot has been rock solid for over 2 years.

2.4 ghz Range and reliability are key. Budget is $200.
Is the rt86u the router to get to help give wifi to all my 2.4 devices? And ipads, wired tv, tivo etc? I want to set and forget. I just want everything to work. I don’t game or need super cool stuff.

Thank you.

hi,
New user here. I’ve read many threads and have come to the conclusion that the 86u is the router to get but I feel that there are enough issues with it that I should ask my question.

I have a tmobile cellspot AC1900 with the default several year old firmware as my main router behind a FIOS modem in my basement.
I have wired ethernet to the 4 corners of the house. I have 3 old routers as APs on the wired ethernet.

I would like a strong signal to the 2.4 ghtz devices, like ring cameras and doorbell, other IoT devices, especially outside.
I wanted to update the main router and then use the tm-1900 cellspot as an additional AP. That t mobile cellspot has been rock solid for over 2 years.

2.4 ghz Range and reliability are key. Budget is $200.
Is the rt86u the router to get to help give wifi to all my 2.4 devices? And ipads, wired tv, tivo etc? I want to set and forget. I just want everything to work. I don’t game or need super cool stuff.

Thank you.
Well I have a R7800 arriving today got it on Amazon for $199.00. Have a Asus 68u the range on 2.4 it not that great tried a booster still spotie with Ring camera systems. Also have many wireless devices. Hope the netgear does the trick. I just can not center my router like it should be in the house.

Tim posted in another thread:
If range is your problem, four streams vs. the 68u's three can help. But the 86u has four streams only on the 5 GHz radio. If your range problems are with devices that are on 2.4 GHz. then you'd be better off trying a full four-stream router like the NETGEAR R7800.

I think this is my situation and I am also going to try the R7800

Tim posted in another thread:
If range is your problem, four streams vs. the 68u's three can help. But the 86u has four streams only on the 5 GHz radio. If your range problems are with devices that are on 2.4 GHz. then you'd be better off trying a full four-stream router like the NETGEAR R7800.

I think this is my situation and I am also going to try the R7800
That is exactly why I choose the R7800 also.