What's new

RT_AC86u changes?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gar

Very Senior Member
Have there been any revisions to this model, aka version numbers? Don't recall any like a bunch of other ASUS models have had. It's time to upgrade to one so just curious. Newegg has factory re-certified units for alot less than new, although I'm not too crazy about re-certified.

Thanks.

Bought it....$175@Newegg. Doesn't seem likely it will be obsolete anytime soon.

I bought a new one in June. Based on when it was announced and technological advances since, I would say that the product is approaching ‘end of life ‘ from ASUS’s perspective. However, from a consumer perspective, a minimum of five years depending on consumer needs.

Based on when it was announced and technological advances since, I would say that the product is approaching ‘end of life ‘ from ASUS’s perspective.
:confused: The RT-AC86U is one of Asus' newest products. Are you sure you're not confusing it with the RT-AC68U?

:confused: The RT-AC86U is one of Asus' newest products. Are you sure you're not confusing it with the RT-AC68U?
Having worked for three decades at a major technology company and been involved in many products from their sunrise to sunset, I can tell you that at a corporate level a Gantt chart exists for every ASUS product. Using the AC86U as an example, at the time of announcement (11/2/2017) ASUS had a projected life expectancy for the product. That said, you have to realize that 'End of Life' does not mean end of manufacturing. Manufacturing will continue as long as sales forecasting dictates. 'End of Life' merely is a statement that current hardware is stable and no further hardware revisions are necessary. The same is true of the firmware; firmware releases will continue to be further and further apart as all the bugs are fixed. Note that the last firmware update from ASUS was 9/14/2018 and while an update is due, two months without an update is a sign. As the AC86U product ages, less and less engineering resources will be allocated to it as they will be working to develop the next products.

This is just the way it is, technology advancements and innovations are increasing at an exponential rate. Tech savvy consumers jump at the new stuff. Most everyone else only updates their technology when their current product is no longer available.

Having worked for three decades at a major technology company and been involved in many products from their sunrise to sunset, I can tell you that at a corporate level a Gantt chart exists for every ASUS product. Using the AC86U as an example, at the time of announcement (11/2/2017) ASUS had a projected life expectancy for the product. That said, you have to realize that 'End of Life' does not mean end of manufacturing. Manufacturing will continue as long as sales forecasting dictates. 'End of Life' merely is a statement that current hardware is stable and no further hardware revisions are necessary. The same is true of the firmware; firmware releases will continue to be further and further apart as all the bugs are fixed. Note that the last firmware update from ASUS was 9/14/2018 and while an update is due, two months without an update is a sign. As the AC86U product ages, less and less engineering resources will be allocated to it as they will be working to develop the next products.

This is just the way it is, technology advancements and innovations are increasing at an exponential rate. Tech savvy consumers jump at the new stuff. Most everyone else only updates their technology when their current product is no longer available.

Your manufacturer's definition of EOL sounds more like end of development, sad to say. My consumer's definition of EOL is that the product is no longer made, sold, and supported and that there are more viable/replacement products on the market to consider instead.

The frequency of firmware updates does suggest something, but I find this pattern tends to be specific to the product, the product era, and the maker. The ASUS firmware update patterns lately also reflect their AiMesh development campaign across multiple products past and current. Given this, I'm expecting an 86U firmware update to drop sooner than later... it's due, imo.

OE

Your manufacturer's definition of EOL sounds more like end of development, sad to say. My consumer's definition of EOL is that the product is no longer made, sold, and supported and that there are more viable/replacement products on the market to consider instead.

The frequency of firmware updates does suggest something, but I find this pattern tends to be specific to the product, the product era, and the maker. The ASUS firmware update patterns lately also reflect their AiMesh development campaign across multiple products past and current. Given this, I'm expecting an 86U firmware update to drop sooner than later... it's due, imo.

OE
Today, for most products there are two corporate 'End of Life'; one for hardware and the other for firmware/software updates. My iPhone 6 is a good example; no further hardware improvements for my iPhone 6 but new Apple IOS releases have increased its functionality.

The corporate Gantt chart exists to ensure proper allocation of corporate resources while remaining competitive in the marketplace and making sure that corporate products don't with compete with themselves. The AC86U will be with us for, as I pointed out earlier, at least five years but that is dependent on the speed at which the industry and consumers embrace the AX technology. So don't be afraid to buy a AC86U today or tomorrow.

@ApexRon I'm well aware of what "end of life" means. I just don't know what point you were trying to make with regard to the OP's question. Most of Asus' other routers are significantly older than the RT-AC86U and have gone through multiple hardware revisions, which was what he was asking about.

@ApexRon I'm well aware of what "end of life" means. I just don't know what point you were trying to make with regard to the OP's question. Most of Asus' other routers are significantly older than the RT-AC86U and have gone through multiple hardware revisions, which was what he was asking about.
@ColinTaylor - Actually, there was more than one query:
  1. "Have there been any revisions to this model, aka version numbers?"
  2. "Doesn't seem likely it will be obsolete anytime soon."
My reply was:
"Based on when it was announced and technological advances since, I would say that the product is approaching ‘end of life ‘ from ASUS’s perspective. However, from a consumer perspective, a minimum of five years depending on consumer needs."​

Which the OP was happy with. However, you wanted further clarification which I provided. Revisions to older routers were typically to resolve some sort of hardware issue or just to use a newer chip set. Newer technologies are allowing manufacturers to externalize more and more functionality into firmware, making hardware revisions less and less necessary. As consumers, you and I know what "end of life" means but manufacturers have to project many dates for each of their products for the reasons I already stated. Granted they are just projected dates but dates none the less.

Should the AX standard be approved tomorrow and consumer home electronics release AX supported products the following day, the "End of Life" dates for non-AX routers moved closer in.

Let's hope the fact it was DOA isn't a sign...

Waiting for a replacement now.

Let's hope the fact it was DOA isn't a sign...

Waiting for a replacement now.
ROFLMAO - Stuff happens.

Prior to my AC86U, I ordered a Netgear as product of choice. Well it wasn’t DOA but it was on its back wiggling all its legs. After identifying five bugs in three days I received my AC86U from Amazon and returned Netgear for full refund.

Note that the last firmware update from ASUS was 9/14/2018 and while an update is due, two months without an update is a sign.

Based on the information I have, I can tell you that your interpretation of that sign is incorrect ;)

Keep in mind that Asus has a (mostly) unified codebase for their firmware. A lot of the work done applies to all their models, and a few model-specific things are done on top of that. I know what their general target release cycle is, and also when they currently expect to have a new firmware available for multiple models.

Bottom line is, the RT-AC86U is far from being even close to end of life. And two months without new firmware is actually the norm, not the exception...

[QUOTE="RMerlin, post:Bottom line is, the RT-AC86U is far from being even close to end of life. And two months without new firmware is actually the norm, not the exception...[/QUOTE]

Actually I would love to see it, the longer firmware release date gap sometime means the stable this firmware is, except Netgear for sure, they just ignore all the problems

Actually I would love to see it, the longer firmware release date gap sometime means the stable this firmware is, except Netgear for sure, they just ignore all the problems
The opposite could be true too.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!