What's new

RT_N66U/John's Fork

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wh7qq

This "66" has been going 24/7 for quite a few years now with no problems, and running John's Fork of Merlin's fork of AsusWRT for about a year now, also without problems. I just upgraded to 46D3 (developmental) from one of the 45 series using the in-built upgrade utility and it went without a hitch. My '66 is pretty plain vanilla so if you use a lot of fancy stuff, ymmv.

The only problem I ever had in switching was the lockout on un-blessed firmware that required my using the CFE mini web server to switch to John's in the first place (I run Linux so the W$ based rescue program won't work for me). That done, it has been smooth sailing ever since. Many thanks to John for keeping this old bird current.

This "66" has been going 24/7 for quite a few years now with no problems, and running John's Fork of Merlin's fork of AsusWRT for about a year now, also without problems. I just upgraded to 46D3 (developmental) from one of the 45 series using the in-built upgrade utility and it went without a hitch. My '66 is pretty plain vanilla so if you use a lot of fancy stuff, ymmv.

The only problem I ever had in switching was the lockout on un-blessed firmware that required my using the CFE mini web server to switch to John's in the first place (I run Linux so the W$ based rescue program won't work for me). That done, it has been smooth sailing ever since. Many thanks to John for keeping this old bird current.
Hmm I need this johns fork for my n66. I'll try and find it

Hmm I need this johns fork for my n66. I'll try and find it
The "released" editions are located at https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AAkJBWoo-OiyKJo&id=9332FC159A7E129!241&cid=09332FC159A7E129 I would suggest bookmarking it for future reference. This forked software has a "look and feel" very much like ASUS-WRT and most of the configuration menu items are the same but some additional features may lurk there that may not work exactly as you would expect. I went to it when I could no longer revert to Tomato from the newer Merlin series (compliance with FCC regs). It seemed like the 'n66 was orphaned and not being upgraded to cope with recent vulnerabilities. You may need to resort to the "repair disk" which only works with window$ or the CFE mini web server to use the built in upgrade feature.There is a more recent update on the server above that I have yet to download.

Some have suggested that using this software may not be "safe" because it is off the mainstream and John has remained sort of anonymous and offers no support but I have seen no sign of problems, increased (unauthorized bandwidth usage) or other funny stuff. Looks and runs good on my '66 but...YMMV. Use at your own risk.