What's new

RTAX86S, Merlin, Skynet & VPN Fusion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mrmason

Occasional Visitor
I just got myself an RTAX86S. I have not installed Merlin because I want VPN Fusion since it natively supports wireguard. I checked Merlin's website and it only supports the U model of my router: RT-AX68U_386.7_2_pureubi.w

Therefore, I'm unsure if I can install Merlin on my AX86S? Hoping someone on here will know the answer to this one :)

Also, if I can install Merlin on my S model, will it replace VPN Fusion with VPN Director or will VPN Fusion remain? I'm sure VPN Director is great, but currently it only supports OpenVpn and I want Wireguard so it won't fit my use case.

I also noticed I'm unable to install Skynet firewall on my stock Asus firmware. Does it require Asus Merlin firmware as a prerequisite? And if so, is there a possible workaround?

Thank you in advance!

Therefore, I'm unsure if I can install Merlin on my AX86S? Hoping someone on here will know the answer to this one :)
Yes: https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/about
  • RT-AX86S (same firmware as RT-AX86U)

Also, if I can install Merlin on my S model, will it replace VPN Fusion with VPN Director...
Yes.

I also noticed I'm unable to install Skynet firewall on my stock Asus firmware. Does it require Asus Merlin firmware as a prerequisite? And if so, is there a possible workaround?
Support for user addon scripts is a feature of Merlin's firmware.

I just got myself an RTAX86S. I have not installed Merlin because I want VPN Fusion since it natively supports wireguard. I checked Merlin's website and it only supports the U model of my router: RT-AX68U_386.7_2_pureubi.w

Also, if I can install Merlin on my S model, will it replace VPN Fusion with VPN Director or will VPN Fusion remain? I'm sure VPN Director is great, but currently it only supports OpenVpn and I want Wireguard so it won't fit my use case.

Thank you in advance!
Stick with the Asus beta firmware if you want VPN Fusion and easy Wireguard support. Wireguard is not natively supported in Merlin....yet. The beta firmware for the AX86U/S works quite well!

Skynet is not a firewall. It's an IP-based blocker. If you don't have specific reasons to use Skynet, you don't need it.
The reason is I have a single port open on my router. I use a reverse proxy so only one port to limit the attack surface. However, before I installed Skynet I noticed many bruteforce attempt from random IP's on my nextcloud server. After installing Skynet, they virtually disappeared. Is there another way to achieve what Skynet does without installing Merlin. By the way, I would love to install Merlin, but want VPN Fusion, which is great for setting up wireguard clients and server. I prety for the day intuitive wireguard support comes to Merlin's VPN Director.

Stick with the Asus beta firmware if you want VPN Fusion and easy Wireguard support. Wireguard is not natively supported in Merlin....yet. The beta firmware for the AX86U/S works quite well!
Yes, I'm loving it so far, but having a strange issue. The wireguard clients work flawlessly with commercial VPN services. However, I also run my own wireguard server on AWS. When I connect to that server, it kills the internet connection. Same config files have been working flawlessly on wireguard native clients for years. Strange and no errors in the logs. Any ideas?

However, before I installed Skynet I noticed many bruteforce attempt from random IP's on my nextcloud server.

A lot of things are happening on the Internet background noise. What's important is intrusion success rate. I run servers with automatic IP ban for 1h after 3 unsuccessful access attempts. No one managed to get in for years. Dynamic IP blocking is the better strategy that relying on free community generated blocklists. If your servers contain something important, dump the Toys R Us hardware and get something better.

Yes, I'm loving it so far, but having a strange issue. The wireguard clients work flawlessly with commercial VPN services. However, I also run my own wireguard server on AWS. When I connect to that server, it kills the internet connection. Same config files have been working flawlessly on wireguard native clients for years. Strange and no errors in the logs. Any ideas?
This was a DNS issue and has been resolved.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!