What's new

RTN66U, ECN Capability?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

randomName

Very Senior Member
Did a little searching before posting, couldn't find an answer, does the RTN66U support ECN Capability?

2019 EDIT: asking about the 86U

Last edited:
I think he means this one...:)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explicit_Congestion_Notification

By default, the router is set to support incoming ECN (at least on my fork)
If you want to experiment, you can set incoming and outgoing notification.

# Enable ECN for incoming and outgoing connections (default is 2, incoming only)
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn

When I experimented with it, it either made no difference or made things slightly worse setting incoming+outgoing.

I think he means this one...:)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explicit_Congestion_Notification

By default, the router is set to support incoming ECN (at least on my fork)
If you want to experiment, you can set incoming and outgoing notification.

# Enable ECN for incoming and outgoing connections (default is 2, incoming only)
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn

When I experimented with it, it either made no difference or made things slightly worse setting incoming+outgoing.
So, maybe it might work then...

Those congestion control protocols are mostly useless if they aren't used by both ends of the connection. That's why all those router hacks involving Vegas and such are more placebo than anything.

Does the RT-AC86U Support incoming and outgoing ECN? If not how do I enable it? And does it need DCTCP congestion provider?

Code:
admin@RT-AC68U:/# cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn

Thanks! I'm assuming that i'd simply have to change "admin@rt-AC68U" to "admin@rt-ac86U", correct?

And before I get into anything how do I verify what's being used, at first? For example I always check what's running first, then make changes, and then I go back to verify things have been changed.

Thanks! I'm assuming that i'd simply have to change "admin@rt-AC68U" to "admin@rt-ac86U", correct?
"admin@RT-AC68U:/#" is just the command prompt from my terminal session.

And before I get into anything how do I verify what's being used, at first? For example I always check what's running first, then make changes, and then I go back to verify things have been changed.
The command I posted shows the current value. The command in post #5 shows you how to change it.

"admin@RT-AC68U:/#" is just the command prompt from my terminal session.

The command I posted shows the current value. The command in post #5 shows you how to change it.

Great! That worked,
Thank you for the help :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!