What's new

RTRMON RTRMON v1.6.8 -Mar 17, 2024- Monitor your Router's Health (New: AMTM, Network Conn/Bandwidth/Diag + Port Scanner, GT-AXE/AX + Speedtest)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Viktor Jaep

Part of the Furniture
RTRMON v1.6.8
Released March 17, 2024

Executive Summary: RTRMON is a shell script that provides near-realtime stats about your Asus-Merlin firmware router. Instead of having to find this information on various different screens or apps, this tool was built to bring all this info together in one stats dashboard. Having a 'system' dashboard showing current CPU, Memory, Disk and Network stats would compliment other dashboard-like scripts greatly (like VPNMON-R3), sitting side-by-side in their own SSH windows to give you everything you need to know that's happening on your router/network with a glance at your screen. Additional network diagnostics functionality was added, as well as insights into connections/speeds established to/from your router.

RTRMON is free to use under the GNU General Public License version 3 (GPL 3.0).

This project is hosted on GitHub

Changelog here | Latest Release Notes | What's new: Added EXT USB Storage & More, New Look & Feel, VPN Speedtest, Wi-Fi Scheduler Display, Updated Ookla Speedtest Binary + New Speedtest Stats!, Network Connections/Bandwidth Page, VPN Stats/Minimalist Progressbar/Custom Speedtest Server/+more!, Network Diagnotiscs + TCP/UDP Port Scanner, AMTM!, Further Router Compatibility, GT-AXE/AX Compatibility, WAN IFace Override, Fixed Progressbar %'s, Ookla Speed Test Functionality!

--------------------

Requirements:
1.) Asus/Merlin firmware
-- apparently stock Asus is missing some of the features that RTRMON requires to display its stats.

Compatibility:
1.) The vast majority of Dual-Band Routers
-- Where wl0 = 2.4GHz, wl1 = 5GHz: RT-AC86U, RT-AX86U, RT-AC68U, GT-AX6000, etc. supported by default
2.) Tri-Band Routers /w WiFi6
- Where wl0 = 2.4GHz, wl1 = 5GHz(1), wl2 = 5GHz(2): GT-AX11000_PRO, GT-AX11000, ZenWiFi_Pro_XT12, ZenWIFI_AX
3.) Tri-Band Routers /w WiFi6E
- Where wl0 = 2.4GHz, wl1 = 5GHz, wl2 = 6GHz: GT-AXE11000
4.) Quad-Band Routers w/ WiFi6E
- Where wl0 = 5GHz(1), wl1 = 5GHz(2), wl2 = 6GHz, wl3 = 2.4GHz: Custom for GT-AXE16000

**I will add more devices to the Tri/Quad-Band compatibility list as I research how each one has their wireless interfaces configured. If you see something not working right, please leave a note in this forum, or PM me!

Screenshots:

Page 1
1710679957100.png

Page 2
1710255421791.png

Page 3
1710255448034.png

Page 4
1710255479961.png

Page 5
1710256373518.png

Last edited:
Last but not least, Page 6 showing current connections/bandwidth for your WAN, LAN and VPN Connections:

1710255684819.png

How is this script supposed to run?​

I would recommend running this script in its own SSH window from a PC that's connected directly to the Asus router, or from a utility like 'Screen', as it loops and checks the various stats every 10 seconds. Instructions:
  1. Download and install directly from AMTM, or using your favorite SSH tools, copy & paste this command:
    Code:
    curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/master/rtrmon.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"
  2. Configure it using this command:
    Code:
    sh /jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh -setup
  3. Run it standalone in an SSH window with this command:
    Code:
    sh /jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh -monitor
  4. Or, using the screen utility, which has now been built-in:
    Code:
    sh /jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh -screen
  5. To make it even easier, simply execute the script name with the commandline switch, like so:
    Code:
    rtrmon -screen
    -or-
    rtrmon -monitor
    -or-
    rtrmon -setup
    etc...

Do I need to configure anything?​

You can enter the setup screen with the command 'rtrmon.sh -setup' or by hitting the "s" key in the main UI:
1710255743412.png

Hitting the "sc" option, there are currently 12 items you can configure (you can also access this screen by using 'rtrmon -config'):
1710255785420.png

The really important ones probably are your max speeds... as those will differ from router to router, home to home, location to location. ;)

I'm definitely looking for your feedback... what works, what doesn't... what else would you like to see. But all-in-all, as good ideas come up for things to possibly add, very much a WIP (work-in-progress). ;)

Last edited:
Getting interesting...
The Entware package netdata has an exhaustive output. I used to have an option in AB-Solution, the predecessor of Diversion to install and enable it.

Getting interesting...
The Entware package netdata has an exhaustive output. I used to have an option in AB-Solution, the predecessor of Diversion to install and enable it.
Oh wow, the graphics on that thing look amazing. I might have to download that on my server and see what it looks like. Thanks much for the suggestion!

Oh wow, the graphics on that thing look amazing. I might have to download that on my server and see what it looks like. Thanks much for the suggestion!
They indeed are great.

RTRMON v0.1b2 available...

Things are moving! Implemented a "(N)ext page" feature... more stats are coming! :)

rtrmon-0.1b2-ui.jpg

Beta 3 is available... added more stats on page 1 & 2, lots of bug fixing! Still more to go... ;)

rtrmon-0.1b3-ui1.jpg

rtrmon-0.1b3-ui2.jpg

RTRMON v0.1b4 is available! Now you can completely geek out and measure your CPU/W0/W1 temperatures in KELVIN! Yes, that's right. :) As you can see below, my router is running at a STEAMY 326 K. Using a scale starting from absolute zero, it's a really good thing the CPU doesn't melt completely down until about 403 K. :p

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/master/rtrmon-0.1b4.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"

rtrmon-0.1b4-ui1a.jpg

Last edited:
@Viktor Jaep just tried to download beta 4 using command above and got a "404 Not Found" error, unless you are in the midst of updating?
Have reverted to beta 3 ...

:D

@Viktor Jaep just tried to download beta 4 using command above and got a "404 Not Found" error, unless you are in the midst of updating?
Have reverted to beta 3 ...

:D
My bad... I had an extra "v" for the version in the filename... my mistake. I removed it, and link should work now. ;)

RTRMON v0.1b4 is available! Now you can completely geek out and measure your CPU/W0/W1 temperatures in KELVIN! Yes, that's right. :) As you can see below, my router is running at a STEAMY 326 K. Using a scale starting from absolute zero, it's a really good thing the CPU doesn't melt completely down until about 403 K. :p

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/master/rtrmon-0.1b4.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"

View attachment 42779
Nice! You even included a thermostat.

I won't install this until I see a "But WAIT...there's MORE!" (like a GUI implementation, now that Jack Yaz isn't working on his anymore...)

I won't install this until I see a "But WAIT...there's MORE!" (like a GUI implementation, now that Jack Yaz isn't working on his anymore...)
Hahaha :D

I guess you haven't heard the news? Web-style GUIs are so passe year 2000s. The new hip trend is the classic style terminal dashboard interface! :cool:

Last edited:
I guess you haven't heard the news? Web-style GUIs are so passe 2000s. The new hip trend is the classic style terminal dashboard interface! :cool:
I can wholeheartedly support that.

I guess you haven't heard the news? Web-style GUIs are so passe 2000s. The new hip trend is the classic style terminal dashboard interface! :cool:
Why use a web-UI; when every thing can be done comfortably from your favorite ssh terminal...? With the appropriate VPN's,,,, this can be done from any where... ( I am still waiting for your Terminal-Site-Tunnel-Mon a.k.a. T.S.T-MON)

Why use a web-UI; when every thing can be done comfortably from your favorite ssh terminal...? With the appropriate VPN's,,,, this can be done from any where... ( I am still waiting for your Terminal-Site-Tunnel-Mon a.k.a. T.S.T-MON)
LOL! T.S.T-MON is next up on my to-do list! :D

Happy Friday everyone... Release Candidate 1 (RC1) is available for download, featuring all new menus, configs, setups, etc... I like it so much, I will likely implement the same kind of config menu in VPNMON-R2 shortly... ;)

v1.0RC1 - (July 15, 2022)
* RELEASE
- Release Candidate 1 (RC1) is officially out there!
* ADDED - Added a setup, config, uninstall, and update menu, along with options to view logs, or launch RTRMON regularly in an SSH window, or using the screen utility. Many of these capabilities came over from VPNMON-R2.
* ADDED - Using proper add-on guidelines, support files are now located under /jffs/addons/rtrmon.d, with the main rtrmon.sh located under the /jffs/scripts as usual.

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/master/rtrmon-1.0RC1.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"

Setup Menu:
rtrmon-1.0RC1-setup.jpg

Config Menu:
rtrmon-1.0RC1-config.jpg

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!