What's new

RTRMON RTRMON v1.6.8 -Mar 17, 2024- Monitor your Router's Health (New: AMTM, Network Conn/Bandwidth/Diag + Port Scanner, GT-AXE/AX + Speedtest)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks for the cheat codes!! :) EDIT: Is there any way to tell which models have 2 wl's, vs. 3 wl's or 4 wl's like the AXE-16000?
Not through the model number itself, you will have to look up the specs for each model.

Through nvram I guess you could look at the number of entries in the wl_ifnames variable.

Hopefully this is the last time, @ugandy! :) Could you please try this version?

Download:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/master/rtrmon-1.21b5.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"

This version adds completely new logic to handle the weird 5-1/5-2/6/2.4 interface assignment for the GT-AXE16000, the more standard 2.4/5/6GHz assignment for the GT-AXE11000, and the even more different 2.4/5-1/5-2GHz assignment for the GT-AX11000. I think I have a method now to easily add new models as they come up... the downside is that I have to define them to specify what kinds of assignments they "might" have.

Last edited:
Happy to let v1.22 go live today! Many thanks to @ugandy for his awesome help figuring out the guts of the GT-AXE16000, and @ColinTaylor for diving into the AXE16000 coding exceptions! :)

What's new?
v1.22 - (September 7, 2022)
- ADDED
: Based on excellent feedback from @ugandy, I have added compatibility for the more advanced GT-AXE11000 and the GT-AXE16000 routers with 3 or 4 different WiFi interfaces, 2.4Ghz, 2 x 5Ghz and 6Ghz transmitters. In doing so, the WiFi section has now been split off onto its own page (3) to handle up to 4 different wireless interface statistics. This version adds completely new logic to handle the weird interface assignment for the GT-AXE16000, the more standard 2.4/5/6GHz assignment for the GT-AXE11000, and the even more different 2.4/5-1/5-2GHz assignment for the GT-AX11000_PRO. I think I have a method now to easily add new models as they come up... the downside is that I have to define them to specify what kinds of assignments they "might" have.
- ADDED: Included the interface names for all the Wireless transmitters to be included on top of the stats for each.
- ADDED: A (P)revious page keypress function that allows you to now go back and forth between pages! Whoo!
- CHANGED: Moved the (I)nitiate Speedtest menu item to the top of page (4) on the Speedtest page.

Download link here - or update directly from the setup UI in RTRMON!:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/master/rtrmon-1.22.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"

Significant Screenshots:
rtrmon-1.22-pg3a.png

Depiction of what your wireless lan statistics page looks like on a Quad-Band GT-AXE16000. This screen will vary depending on the number of bands your router supports. Please drop me a line to add your router to the compatibility list!

Compatible router list being maintained in the OP! :)

Last edited:
Added another quick minor update to include the last number of tri-band routers to make it fully compatible with Asus-Merlin's line-up of routers.

What's new?
v1.23 - (September 10, 2022)
- ADDED:
Compatibility added for the other Asus-Merlin-compatible routers: GT-AX11000, ZenWiFi_Pro_XT12, and ZenWIFI_AX are all tri-band routers. Please know, I'm just taking a wild stab at identifying these router "model names", which would get read from your NVRAM. If these are not correct, and you're not seeing 3 different WiFi bands under your page (3) WiFi tab, please let me know.
- CHANGED: Minor fixes and enhancements

Compatibility List:
1.) The vast majority of Dual-Band Routers
-- Where wl0 = 2.4GHz, wl1 = 5GHz: RT-AC86U, RT-AX86U, RT-AC68U, etc. supported by default
2.) Tri-Band Routers /w WiFi6
- Where wl0 = 2.4GHz, wl1 = 5GHz(1), wl2 = 5GHz(2): GT-AX11000_PRO, GT-AX11000, ZenWiFi_Pro_XT12, ZenWIFI_AX
3.) Tri-Band Routers /w WiFi6E
- Where wl0 = 2.4GHz, wl1 = 5GHz, wl2 = 6GHz: GT-AXE11000
4.) Quad-Band Routers w/ WiFi6E
- Where wl0 = 5GHz(1), wl1 = 5GHz(2), wl2 = 6GHz, wl3 = 2.4GHz: Custom for GT-AXE16000

Download:

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/master/rtrmon-1.23.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"

Last edited:
Minor update for RTRMON today, going to v1.24. Enjoy!

What's new?
v1.24 - (September 29, 2022)
- MINOR:
Small wording changes around the setup menu when it comes to installing Entware prerequisites. Added a check when the script starts up to ensure that all prerequisites are in place before running the script.
- CHANGED: The behavior of the "rtrmon -screen" command, so that when you execute this commandline parameter, it first will look for orphaned screens and wipe them... then, it will launch RTRMON into a new screen environment, and connect to it. This skips the original behavior where it drops back to a command prompt, and asks the user to connect to the RTRMON screen by requiring the user to run the "screen -r rtrmon" command. If a screen session is already running, and you type: "rtrmon -screen", it will then connect to this screen session without requiring any user input. Thanks much to @TITAN for the great suggestion!

Download link:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/master/rtrmon-1.24.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"

I'm super proud, and honored, to announce today that RTRMON has been added to the Swiss Army Knife collective of router scripts in AMTM today! Just wanted to thank @thelonelycoder again for choosing to include this script, and hope that many others out there get to enjoy its features and functionality for a long time to come. More enhancements will be coming, so don't hesitate to please keep sending your excellent suggestions to add additional features! Thank you! :)

We are celebrating!
1664712139687.png

I'm super proud, and honored, to announce today that RTRMON has been added to the Swiss Army Knife collective of router scripts in AMTM today! Just wanted to thank @thelonelycoder again for choosing to include this script, and hope that many others out there get to enjoy its features and functionality for a long time to come. More enhancements will be coming, so don't hesitate to please keep sending your excellent suggestions to add additional features! Thank you! :)

We are celebrating!
View attachment 44544
I am proud of you, the work that you do, and your awesome terminal scripts. And I wanted to recognize @thelonelycoder for rewarding you for your hard work efforts, and talent. You can only say in so many words, great work, and I think inclusion into AMTM speaks that in volumes.

I am proud of you, the work that you do, and your awesome terminal scripts. And I wanted to recognize @thelonelycoder for rewarding you for your hard work efforts, and talent. You can only say in so many words, great work, and I think inclusion into AMTM speaks that in volumes.
Thank you so much, @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow! I appreciate your kind words, and truly means a lot coming from you! :)

Coming soon to a RTRMON version near you... ;) (Hopeful for Friday, Oct 7)

Teaser Preview:
1665011409262.png

Last edited:
OK this big update is ready to go live! New Page 5 includes network diagnostic tests to ensure your internet connectivity is stable, as well as a TCP/UDP port scanner that gives you valuable insights about your local connections. ENJOY! :)

What's new?
v1.30 - (October 7, 2022)
- MAJOR:
Added a 5th page of STATS! -- View Network Diagnostics and and Open TCP/UDP Port Scanner!! This page gives you the option of running a network diagnostics check, and will test the following: Local clock, network connectivity, network resolution, dig functionality, curl functionality, spider functionality and SSL Handshakes! It will furthermore run an nmap scan against your local BR0 LAN connection and your public WAN connection, giving you information about any open TCP or UDP ports it finds. You can switch back and forth between the TCP and UDP results by hitting (T) and (U) while on that page. Huge thanks to @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow for his inspiration and code for this functionality. This code was originally designed as a very efficient WAN check, it ended up getting converted into a slick network diag function. ;)
- ADDED: Nmap is now part of the required Entware Dependencies for RTRMON to run and perform all of its intended functions. This can be added by going into the Setup menu, and choosing "sc" - Setup & Configure, or "fr" - Force Reinstall Dependencies.
- FIXED: the -wipe SCREEN command is now being checked earlier before the script determines how it is going to initiate a SCREEN session.
- FIXED: Looks like my 2.4GHz antenna temp sensor stopped working suddenly, and generating a weird message, so I built in some error checking to eliminate those messages from making it to the screen.

Download Link (use your favorite SSH tool to execute this, or update directly from within AMTM):
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/master/rtrmon-1.30.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"

Significant screenshots:
Page 5 now displays the Network Diagnostics and TCP/UDP Open Ports. Initiate a scan by hitting the "D" key. Results will appear as soon as the tests are done. You can flip back and forth between (T)CP and (U)DP tabs by hitting those respective keys. :)
rtrmon-1.30-pg5.jpg

Last edited:
____ __________ __ _______ _ __
/ __ \/_ __/ __ \/ |/ / __ \/ | / / v1.30 - GT-AXE16000
/ /_/ / / / / /_/ / /|_/ / / / / |/ / (S)etup
/ _, _/ / / / _, _/ / / / /_/ / /| / (N)ext/(P)rev Pg (4/5)
/_/ |_| /_/ /_/ |_/_/ /_/\____/_/ |_/ (E)xit
_________
/Speedtest\________________________________________________________

/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh: /jffs/addons/rtrmon.d/results.txt: line 2: syntax error: unterminated quoted string
eva@GT-AXE16000:/tmp/home/root#

____ __________ __ _______ _ __
/ __ \/_ __/ __ \/ |/ / __ \/ | / / v1.30 - GT-AXE16000
/ /_/ / / / / /_/ / /|_/ / / / / |/ / (S)etup
/ _, _/ / / / _, _/ / / / /_/ / /| / (N)ext/(P)rev Pg (4/5)
/_/ |_| /_/ /_/ |_/_/ /_/\____/_/ |_/ (E)xit
_________
/Speedtest\________________________________________________________

/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh: /jffs/addons/rtrmon.d/results.txt: line 2: syntax error: unterminated quoted string
eva@GT-AXE16000:/tmp/home/root#
That has something to do with your local Ookla speedtest server name. Would you mind sharing the contents of your results.txt file please (or PM it over to me?) I might be able to catch these in the future...

Code:
nano /jffs/addons/rtrmon.d/results.txt

That has something to do with your local Ookla speedtest server name. Would you mind sharing the contents of your results.txt file please (or PM it over to me?) I might be able to catch these in the future...

Code:
nano /jffs/addons/rtrmon.d/results.txt
SpdDate="Fri Oct 7 12:46:15 PDT 2022"
SpdServer="============================================================================== You may only use this Speedtest software and information generated from it for personal, non-commercial use, through a command line interface on a personal computer. Your use of this software is subject to the End User License Agreement, Terms of Use and Privacy Policy at these URLs: https://www.speedtest.net/about/eula https://www.speedtest.net/about/terms https://www.speedtest.net/about/privacy ============================================================================== License acceptance recorded. Continuing. "AT&T - Santa Clara, CA"
SpdLatency=3.434
SpdJitter=0.639
SpdPacketLoss=0
SpdDownload=117091693
SpdUpload=117313284

SpdDate="Fri Oct 7 12:46:15 PDT 2022"
SpdServer="============================================================================== You may only use this Speedtest software and information generated from it for personal, non-commercial use, through a command line interface on a personal computer. Your use of this software is subject to the End User License Agreement, Terms of Use and Privacy Policy at these URLs: https://www.speedtest.net/about/eula https://www.speedtest.net/about/terms https://www.speedtest.net/about/privacy ============================================================================== License acceptance recorded. Continuing. "AT&T - Santa Clara, CA"
SpdLatency=3.434
SpdJitter=0.639
SpdPacketLoss=0
SpdDownload=117091693
SpdUpload=117313284
Ookla's free speedtest binary continues to surprise me... why in the WORLD would they insert their "I accept the licensing terms" to the speedtest server name field... :p I'll see if I can remove further iterations of this... Go ahead and delete your results.txt file, and try again. The next time through it should work just fine now that you have "officially" accepted their license to use.

Thanks to @ugandy for noticing this... I have changed the Ookla speedtest process around a bit to try to avoid this licensing issue from becoming a problem in the future... v1.31 hotfix is out!

What's new?
v1.31 - (October 7, 2022) - HOTFIX
- FIXED:
Ookla continues to surprise me with getting their licensing agreement in your face in places you don't expect it. In this case, it was interfering with the results file being saved, and causing malformed strings, gunking things up. The process has now changed a bit... On a new install, or when you select option 9 to enable the Ookla Speedtest, after the install completes, an initial speedtest is run where the license file is captured and saved to the /jffs/addons/rtrmon.d folder. Each time RTRMON runs, it will check to see if that license file exists, if not, it will copy it over from the /root/.config/ookla folder, and vice versa... if the /root/.config/ookla folder is gone due to a router reboot, it will copy that license file back over, hopefully providing some stability. Thanks to @ugandy for reporting this issue! :)

Download link:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/master/rtrmon-1.31.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"

Congrats on v1.31 @Viktor Jaep!
Now that your "page count" is getting up there, how about using the number keys 1", "2", "3" etc as shortcuts to go directly to that page of info?
You could also have an Auto option ("A" key?) where it automatically cycles through the pages, stopping for x seconds (configurable) before moving on to the next page?
You could also have an option to startup at a certain page or in Auto ...

Congrats on v1.31 @Viktor Jaep!
Now that your "page count" is getting up there, how about using the number keys 1", "2", "3" etc as shortcuts to go directly to that page of info?
You could also have an Auto option ("A" key?) where it automatically cycles through the pages, stopping for x seconds (configurable) before moving on to the next page?
You could also have an option to startup at a certain page or in Auto ...
Yes! An auto-rotate feature was already noted in my future enhancements! I like your idea of using 1-5 as shortcuts as well... ;) Great ideas here, @Stephen Harrington!! :)

Thanks to @ugandy for noticing this... I have changed the Ookla speedtest process around a bit to try to avoid this licensing issue from becoming a problem in the future... v1.31 hotfix is out!

What's new?
v1.31 - (October 7, 2022) - HOTFIX
- FIXED:
Ookla continues to surprise me with getting their licensing agreement in your face in places you don't expect it. In this case, it was interfering with the results file being saved, and causing malformed strings, gunking things up. The process has now changed a bit... On a new install, or when you select option 9 to enable the Ookla Speedtest, after the install completes, an initial speedtest is run where the license file is captured and saved to the /jffs/addons/rtrmon.d folder. Each time RTRMON runs, it will check to see if that license file exists, if not, it will copy it over from the /root/.config/ookla folder, and vice versa... if the /root/.config/ookla folder is gone due to a router reboot, it will copy that license file back over, hopefully providing some stability. Thanks to @ugandy for reporting this issue! :)

Download link:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/master/rtrmon-1.31.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"
instead you can pass --accept-license --accept-gdpr to the speedtest binary and should avoid this situatuon

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!