What's new

RTRMON RTRMON v1.6.8 -Mar 17, 2024- Monitor your Router's Health (New: AMTM, Network Conn/Bandwidth/Diag + Port Scanner, GT-AXE/AX + Speedtest)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BIG update coming soon... I'm not quite done yet, but I thought I'd let you all start playing with what's already available...

What's new:
v1.33b8 - (BETA - TBA)
- ADDED:
Borrowing a little something from VPNMON-R2, and are now showing VPN client statistics under page 2 of RTRMON. The VPN section shows current public VPN IP, VPN IP city location, current TUN (tunnel) slot and TX/RX stats of the current connection. Having this alongside your WAN and LAN stats, gives you a good perspective on what level of network traffic is truly happening on your router. This feature will now show up to 2 VPN clients that you may currently have connected due to screen space constraints.
- ADDED: Now you are able to pick your own custom speedtest server ID to test against. This option is now available under the config menu. Please note, in order to find the ID, one method currently available is when using the browser and going to speedtest.net, when hoving your mouse over a specific test server, the digits on the end of the URL signify its ID. Enter these digits into the config menu item to always test against this preferred server. Leaving this field with a 0 entry will choose the closest/fastest test server to your WAN exit location. Look for item #10 under config.
- ADDED: An option to choose a more minimalist progress bar. Thanks to @ugandy, you can specify if you want the standard or minimalist progress bar under the config menu, item #12. For those who found it annoying or distracting, enjoy!
- ADDED: An auto-rotate option is now available by hitting the (R)otate pgs option from any of the currently 5 different stats screens. When doing so, RTRMON will automatically advance to the next page, and loop through each until you disable this feature by again hitting the (R)otate pgs key. Thanks for the suggestion, @Stephen Harrington!
- ADDED: More log events have been added, namely when the script started up, results of speed tests, and when your VPN changes so that it lets you know that an API call was made to determine your public VPN IP and exit city location.
- CHANGED: As with VPNMON-R2, now when you make changes to the config while running the program, upon return to the main UI, your changes will automatically be applied without needing to exit and restart.
- FIXED:
Under heavy load, I noticed that the CPU percentages did not add up (close to) 100%, and realized that I left out a vital component, namely the IRQ stat. This item has now been added under the CPU stats, giving you a little more accuracy on current activity.
- FIXED: RTRMON is now able to recognize whether your VPN connection is using a public or private network, and will accommodate for each in the UI under page #2. Thanks to @visortgw for reporting this issue!
- FIXED: The minimalist progress bar will now also be visible during the initial booth sequence... thanks for the suggestion, @visortgw

BETA download link:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/master/rtrmon-1.33b8.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"

Significant screenshots:
Lotsa stuff! Below, you'll find the currently connected VPN client stats under PG 2, alongside the WAN and LAN traffic stats...
rtrmon-1.33b2-vpn.jpg

By hitting the (R)otate Pgs button, RTRMON will automatically advance through all pages and keep looping...
rtrmon-1.33b2-rotate.jpg

The CPU IRQ was a vital stat accidentally left out that wasn't making the maths add up under heavy loads...
rtrmon-1.33b2-irq.jpg

The config menu has added item #10 to allow you to enter your own custom Ookla Speedtest server, as well as #12 to let you choose between the normal progress bar, and one that is a bit more minimalist...
rtrmon-1.33b2-spdtest-progbar.jpg

And speaking of minimalist progress bars... here she be! :)
rtrmon-1.33b2-progbar.jpg

Enjoy! :p

Last edited:
BIG update coming soon... I'm not quite done yet, but I thought I'd let you all start playing with what's already available...

What's new:
v1.33b2 - (BETA - TBA)
- ADDED:
Borrowing a little something from VPNMON-R2, and are now showing VPN client statistics under page 2 of RTRMON. The VPN section shows current public VPN IP, VPN IP city location, current TUN (tunnel) slot and TX/RX stats of the current connection. Having this alongside your WAN and LAN stats, gives you a good perspective on what level of network traffic is truly happening on your router.
- ADDED: Now you are able to pick your own custom speedtest server ID to test against. This option is now available under the config menu. Please note, in order to find the ID, one method currently available is when using the browser and going to speedtest.net, when hoving your mouse over a specific test server, the digits on the end of the URL signify its ID. Enter these digits into the config menu item to always test against this preferred server. Leaving this field with a 0 entry will choose the closest/fastest test server to your WAN exit location. Look for item #10 under config.
- ADDED: An option to choose a more minimalist progress bar. Thanks to @ugandy, you can specify if you want the standard or minimalist progress bar under the config menu, item #12. For those who found it annoying or distracting, enjoy!
- ADDED: An auto-rotate option is now available by hitting the (R)otate pgs option from any of the currently 5 different stats screens. When doing so, RTRMON will automatically advance to the next page, and loop through each until you disable this feature by again hitting the (R)otate pgs key. Thanks for the suggestion, @Stephen Harrington!
- ADDED: More log events have been added, namely when the script started up, results of speed tests, and when your VPN changes so that it lets you know that an API call was made to determine your public VPN IP and exit city location.
- CHANGED: As with VPNMON-R2, now when you make changes to the config while running the program, upon return to the main UI, your changes will automatically be applied without needing to exit and restart.
- FIXED:
Under heavy load, I noticed that the CPU percentages did not add up (close to) 100%, and realized that I left out a vital component, namely the IRQ stat. This item has now been added under the CPU stats, giving you a little more accuracy on current activity.

BETA download link:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/master/rtrmon-1.33b2.sh"-o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"

Significant screenshots:
Lotsa stuff! Below, you'll find the currently connected VPN client stats under PG 2, alongside the WAN and LAN traffic stats...
View attachment 45108

By hitting the (R)otate Pgs button, RTRMON will automatically advance through all pages and keep looping...
View attachment 45109

The CPU IRQ was a vital stat accidentally left out that wasn't making the maths add up under heavy loads...
View attachment 45110

The config menu has added item #10 to allow you to enter your own custom Ookla Speedtest server, as well as #12 to let you choose between the normal progress bar, and one that is a bit more minimalist...
View attachment 45111

And speaking of minimalist progress bars... here she be! :)
View attachment 45112

Enjoy! :p

404: Not Foundcurl: (3) URL using bad/illegal format or missing URL

Missing blank before "-o" in URL.

VPN section seems to be messed up. I use private OpenVPN client connection to a remote site.

Code:
  PUB VPN IP [ printf: invalid number ''
000.printf: invalid number ''
000                   ] TUN: tun11
  PUB VPN CT [ Unknown
  Avg VPN RX [                                   ] 0.02 Mbps / 0%
  Avg VPN TX [                                   ] 0.01 Mbps / 0%

Nice implementation of the custom speedtest server selection. It took me a couple of reads through your directions in order for me to process how to obtain server ID.

Consider using the minimalist progress (if configured) bar while Initiating Boot Sequence.

Great work in progress (I expect nothing different from you)! Thanks.

Last edited:
VPN section seems to be messed up. I use private OpenVPN client connection to a remote site.

Code:
  PUB VPN CT [ Unknown

Nice implementation of the custom speedtest server selection. It took me a couple of reads through your directions in order for me to process how to obtain server ID.

Consider using the minimalist progress (if configured) bar while Initiating Boot Sequence.

Code:
  PUB VPN CT [ Unknown

So I take it your VPN client is a private IP? Interesting... Never considered that!

So I take it your VPN client is a private IP? Interesting... Never considered that!
Yes, private IP is from 10.8.1.0/24 network as configured in OpenVPN settings of remote router, which is also running Merlin firmware. I have multiple remote networks that I maintain/connect to at various times via OpenVPN clients. Typically, I configure a unique OpenVPN subnet (i.e., 10.8.x.0/24) for each remote network in order to avoid IP conflicts in the event that more than one remote network is simultaneously connected.

Yes, private IP is from 10.8.1.0/24 network as configured in OpenVPN settings of remote router, which is also running Merlin firmware. I have multiple remote networks that I maintain/connect to at various times via OpenVPN clients. Typically, I configure a unique OpenVPN subnet (i.e., 10.8.x.0/24) for each remote network in order to avoid IP conflicts in the event that more than one remote network is simultaneously connected.
I'll build some exceptions to this to handle private networks. Thanks for the info!

Please see if this resolves the issue with your private network, @visortgw?

v1.33b3
What's new?
- FIXED:
RTRMON is now able to recognize whether your VPN connection is using a public or private network, and will accommodate for each in the UI under page #2. Thanks to @visortgw for reporting this issue!
- FIXED: The minimalist progress bar will now also be visible during the initial booth sequence... thanks for the suggestion, @visortgw

BETA Download
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/master/rtrmon-1.33b3.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"

Please see if this resolves the issue with your private network, @visortgw?

v1.33b3
What's new?
- FIXED:
RTRMON is now able to recognize whether your VPN connection is using a public or private network, and will accommodate for each in the UI under page #2. Thanks to @visortgw for reporting this issue!

BETA Download
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/master/rtrmon-1.33b3.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"
  1. Minimalist progress bar works during initial boot sequence.
  2. Another thing that I noticed: It doesn't appear that keyboard commands (e.g., (S)etup, (N)ext, (P)revious, ...) are always active — sometimes the character just echoes in the terminal window without responding.
  3. VPN info still broken:
Code:
000.printf: invalid number ''r
  PUB VPN CT [ Unknown
  Avg VPN RX [                                   ] 0.00 Mbps / 0%
  Avg VPN TX [                                   ] 0.00 Mbps / 0%

1. Minimalist progress bar works during initial boot sequence.
  2. Another thing that I noticed: It doesn't appear that keyboard commands (e.g., (S)etup, (N)ext, (P)revious, ...) are always active — sometimes the character just echoes in the terminal window without responding.
  3. VPN info still broken:
Code:
000.printf: invalid number ''r
  PUB VPN CT [ Unknown
  Avg VPN RX [                                   ] 0.00 Mbps / 0%
  Avg VPN TX [                                   ] 0.00 Mbps / 0%

BAH... could you please tell me what this yields for you?

Code:
echo | nvram get vpn_client1_addr

Yeah, I've noticed that too about the keyboard commands... I'll see if I can somehow firm that up, but it helps to enter commands while the timer is running. Right before or after it resets is when it seems to run into trouble.

BAH... could you please tell me what this yields for you?

Code:
echo | nvram get vpn_client1_addr

Yeah, I've noticed that too about the keyboard commands... I'll see if I can somehow firm that up, but it helps to enter commands while the timer is running. Right before or after it resets is when it seems to run into trouble.
  1. vpn_client_addr gives me the remote DDNS hostname (that I'd prefer not to share for security reasons) as opposed to an IP address. Also, it is possible to have multiple VPN clients connected to different servers (on different subnets) at the same time.
  2. It doesn't seem to matter whether timer is running as to whether commands actually execute. I haven't come to a consistent conclusion as of yet.
Thanks for continuing to debug with me.

Last edited:
  1. vpn_client_addr gives me the remote DDNS hostname (that I'd prefer not to share for security reasons) as opposed to an IP address.
  2. It doesn't seem to matter whether timer is running as to whether commands actually execute. I haven't come to a consistent conclusion as of yet.
Thanks for continuing to debug with me.
That totally makes sense now... let me figure out a workaround. ;)

Possibly resolve the hostname and used the returned value?
Please let me know how this works out for you, @visortgw? This one will ping the value in your vpnclient address field, then determines if it's a public or private ip, and "SHOULD" display accordingly. LOL. I appreciate your help with this.

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/master/rtrmon-1.33b4.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"

Please let me know how this works out for you, @visortgw? This one will ping the value in your vpnclient address field, then determines if it's a public or private ip, and "SHOULD" display accordingly. LOL. I appreciate your help with this.

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/master/rtrmon-1.33b4.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"
No, still same output as last version.

No, still same output as last version.
Gotta be kidding me...

Code:
echo | ping -c 1 -w 1 www.google.com | awk -F '[()]' '/PING/ { print $2}'

Could you please run this... but replace the "www.google.com" with the value from your vpnclient1 address field, and let me know if it spits back an IP?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!