What's new

Rugged / Outdoor Hotspots?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bluelude1

New Around Here
I have been trialing the use of mobile hotspots, this year, at a couple of commercial properties to download weather data for smart sprinkler controllers.

Initially I put them in the controller enclousure (which is water tight), but I am noticing that the batteries are swelling likely from the heat generated getting/keeping a cell signal and the nature of being in a box that doesn't have air flow.

These locations use them for 10-20mb of data a month so reliablity is FAR more important than transfer speeds.

Any suggestion on where I might be able to find a product that could be used in such scenerio? Everything I've kind of run across is all about speed speed speed.

Assuming you can get power to the location (either in the controller boxes, or otherwise), I would suggest a PoE-powered outdoor-rated cellular modem, either with WiFi built in, or connected to a PoE-powered outdoor-rated access point; the kind of stuff you'll find at EmbeddedWorks, 5GStore, etc. You would then load a pre-paid renewable data SIM in the router, join your smart sprinkler system to the network, and you're good to go. The hardware will run you a way higher bill than the chintzy Verizon/AT&T jetpacks, but you're paying for the ruggedness.

Here's an example of what I'm thinking; something like a Peplink Pepwave BR1. Does that get close to what you're hoping to find?

Last edited:
Here's an example of what I'm thinking; something like a Peplink Pepwave BR1. Does that get close to what you're hoping to find?

I wonder if the irrigation industry has a more economical solution for this application...

OE

I wonder if the irrigation industry has a more economical solution for this application...
I was wondering the same. There is stuff like what Wlink makes, and I'm sure countless others, but not sure how economical they'd be in comparison...

@Bluelude1 - Were you aware of any irrigation-specific products, or are you just trying to find something generic?

I was wondering the same. There is stuff like what Wlink makes, and I'm sure countless others, but not sure how economical they'd be in comparison...

@Bluelude1 - Were you aware of any irrigation-specific products, or are you just trying to find something generic?

I was just trying to find something generic, but I'm open to the best available option.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!