1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Rugged / Outdoor Hotspots?

Discussion in 'General Wireless Discussion' started by Bluelude1, Aug 13, 2019 at 1:19 PM.

1. Bluelude1

Bluelude1 New Around Here

I have been trialing the use of mobile hotspots, this year, at a couple of commercial properties to download weather data for smart sprinkler controllers.

Initially I put them in the controller enclousure (which is water tight), but I am noticing that the batteries are swelling likely from the heat generated getting/keeping a cell signal and the nature of being in a box that doesn't have air flow.

These locations use them for 10-20mb of data a month so reliablity is FAR more important than transfer speeds.

Any suggestion on where I might be able to find a product that could be used in such scenerio? Everything I've kind of run across is all about speed speed speed.

2. Trip

Trip Very Senior Member

Assuming you can get power to the location (either in the controller boxes, or otherwise), I would suggest a PoE-powered outdoor-rated cellular modem, either with WiFi built in, or connected to a PoE-powered outdoor-rated access point; the kind of stuff you'll find at EmbeddedWorks, 5GStore, etc. You would then load a pre-paid renewable data SIM in the router, join your smart sprinkler system to the network, and you're good to go. The hardware will run you a way higher bill than the chintzy Verizon/AT&T jetpacks, but you're paying for the ruggedness.

Here's an example of what I'm thinking; something like a Peplink Pepwave BR1. Does that get close to what you're hoping to find?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 11:10 AM
  3. OzarkEdge

OzarkEdge Very Senior Member

I wonder if the irrigation industry has a more economical solution for this application...

OE

4. Trip

Trip Very Senior Member

I was wondering the same. There is stuff like what Wlink makes, and I'm sure countless others, but not sure how economical they'd be in comparison...

@Bluelude1 - Were you aware of any irrigation-specific products, or are you just trying to find something generic?