What's new

Running into a weird issue when connecting to work VPN from home

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ppilot

Regular Contributor
So about a two months ago i installed a Netgear router with built in VPN support to allow our offsite employees connect up our Accounting System's database file (the program requires a mapped network drive). For the most part setup was really easy as employees were able to connect up with the mapped drive with no issues from pretty much anywhere.

The weird thing I am running into is that when I bring my laptop home, I can seemingly connect up with the VPN with no issues but cannot connect with the mapped network drives. I've had no issues with connecting at our off-site location along with a couple different coffee shops so there must be something on my home network causing the problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Can you ping the servers that have those drives? If you can't ping them, you won't be able to map them.

So about a two months ago i installed a Netgear router with built in VPN support to allow our offsite employees connect up our Accounting System's database file (the program requires a mapped network drive). For the most part setup was really easy as employees were able to connect up with the mapped drive with no issues from pretty much anywhere.

The weird thing I am running into is that when I bring my laptop home, I can seemingly connect up with the VPN with no issues but cannot connect with the mapped network drives. I've had no issues with connecting at our off-site location along with a couple different coffee shops so there must be something on my home network causing the problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
make sure that you go to your firewall of your laptop and see if public networks is blocked over wifi.
that's probably your problem if you are running a windows os