1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Running Speed Test Halts Everything

Discussion in 'ASUS Wireless' started by Kevin Cabral, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Kevin Cabral

Kevin Cabral Occasional Visitor

Is this normal behavior? Just noticed it now. I was testing my speed while downloading a game on Steam. The moment the speed test begun, my download literally went from 4.5MB/s to 0MB/s. Any ideas? My router is:RT-AC68U

2. Zonkd

Zonkd Senior Member

I vaguely recall there being a setting in steam client that pauses downloads if it detects download traffic on the network or if a game is running. Take a look in the settings.

3. Kevin Cabral

Not sure if it does or not, I'll check. However, I do notice when running speedtest, it slows down my PC's internet. I'm so confused why lol. Not sure if the router is being flooded with something and I'm not sure what it is. I did unplug my modem and router. Allowed it to sit unplugged for a few mins before plugging it back in. I am running AsusWRT-Merlin firmware.

4. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

5. Kevin Cabral

6. FreshJR

FreshJR Very Senior Member

Use QoS.

Check out my script and thread post (RMerlin subforum) if you will be using adaptive QoS.

Script does support stock firmware but works significantly better on RMerlin. I still have to update install instructions for stock firmware users but stock firmware is still partially supported!

Update to RMerlin if you can.