What's new

RT-AX55 is crap.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yeah, looks like AX55 is indeed a weak model. Now I'm not even sure that changing it to AX56U will help, but at least you can try. Or maybe even look for another router manufacturer.

I'm using AX55 in bridge mode to connect 5 wired devices wirelessly to an XT8, and it is really perfect. No problems at all, constant 1500 AX link, as fast as a gigabit cable. And when using it as a bridge, the WAN port acts as another LAN port, so I have 5 devices connected.

AX55U was developed to be AiMesh Node as even miss USB :) for price below $80 is a good device
AX56U is good router and I installed dozen of them and working good but aif you are demand user you will go with AX86U or even think about different solutions like Ubiquiti, MikroTik or better.
I would say any router below $250 is entry level :) This is amazing people (general statement) are spending $500+ for cell but less than $100 for router and you want to have top performance.

Isn't AX56 just AX55 with 2 antennas (less coverage) and with USB port (which I don't need)? And isn't AX58 having weaker CPU (tri-core vs quad-core) than AX55/56?
I wouldn't get too caught up on CPU's unless you are running custom firmware (Merlin) and scripts.

I have the AX92u which is only dual core and it performs outstandingly; serving up real world 2.5gbps over wifi6.

Where is the 2.5Gbps coming from or going to on AX92U with Gigabit ports only?
Wireless clients LAN network access via the AX band. If you work with huge files on your LAN, it's a big performance boost.

Unfortunately, it only has a 1Gbps WAN port so internet access will always be limited to 1gbps.

Last edited:
Common AX dual stream client max PHY rate is 1200Mbps, or up to ~800Mbps throughput. On top of that everything Wi-Fi to LAN is limited to Gigabit. I don't know where do you see this "real world" 2.5Gbps with AX92U routers, using the AX channel as backhaul shared with AX clients. Shared backhaul channel means another 1/2 reduction in usable throughput.

Common AX dual stream client max PHY rate is 1200Mbps, or up to ~800Mbps throughput. On top of that everything Wi-Fi to LAN is limited to Gigabit. I don't know where do you see this "real world" 2.5Gbps with AX92U routers, using the AX channel as backhaul shared with AX clients. Shared backhaul channel means another 1/2 reduction in usable throughput.
The AX92u AX is 4x4 not dual stream. It also has MU-MIMO and OFDMA, this helps to overcome a lot of the issues from sharing the backhaul channel. The clients all have a PHY rate of 2g + The backhaul has a PHY rate of 2.5G.

I see the benefit when copying files from one PC to another on the network. For internet access, you "only" get around 940mb/s which is what you'd expect from a 1gbps internet connection.

The clients all have a PHY rate of 2g + The backhaul has a PHY rate of 2.5G.

This is not a 2.5Gb real world network. Real throughput is about half of the link speeds, shared backhaul cuts throughput with another half. You may get better actual speeds to clients from the AX92Us second AC radio.

The AX92u AX is 4x4 not dual stream. It also has MU-MIMO and OFDMA, this helps to overcome a lot of the issues from sharing the backhaul channel. The clients all have a PHY rate of 2g + The backhaul has a PHY rate of 2.5G.

I see the benefit when copying files from one PC to another on the network. For internet access, you "only" get around 940mb/s which is what you'd expect from a 1gbps internet connection.

I have AX55 connected in wifi bridge mode to an XT8 and I get 1 Gbps, stable speed (for example copying files to the NAS) as a good lan cable. I use AX55 to give internet to 2 NAS, a PS4, a Google TV device and a printer (the WAN port acts as a LAN port when in bridge mode, so you have 5 ports).

I think it is a very good speed for its price.

This is not a 2.5Gb real world network. Real throughput is about half of the link speeds, shared backhaul cuts throughput with another half. You may get better actual speeds to clients from the AX92Us second AC radio.
The AX92u's AC radio is only 2x2 with pretty poor throughput. It only gets around 500mbps.

In essence, what I'm doing is a bit of a hack, but it's worked out surprising good. Clients roam between all 3 bands effortlessly and the AX clients get automatically pushed onto the faster AX band.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!