What's new

Samba remote access other than Admin account?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JimmyB

New Around Here
I'm new to Samba and wonder if I understand it correctly...?

I can log in and view my usb drive shares using the default "admin" account, but any other user I set up is always denied access. I figure I'm missing something since Samba allows other users to be set up - I'm just not sure what the purpose is if they can't log in (at https://xxxx.asuscomm.com), just like the admin account can. Other accounts can't even log in locally (via https://192.168.1.1).

I've turned on cloud disk and smart access, and under Samba enabled the share, enabled share with account, and applied R/W access everywhere. I'm guessing I'm overlooking something simple somewhere, but my research to date has proved futile - nothing to point me in the right direction.

I've set up FTP without a problem, and was hoping to play around with Samba...playing has not been fun this past week!

What's missing is Asus implementing multiple user accounts for AiCloud.

Thanks for the quick reply...I should've asked a week ago.

But does the ability to set up multiple accounts under Samba serve any purpose at this point in time? Or is it just there because Asus intended to get that set up the way I want to use it (per my original post), but hasn't fully implemented it yet? If the multiple accounts can be used in some fashion, I'd appreciate being told how so that I can assess any benefits it may currently have.

I had thought Smart Access turned on provided the "access" to these accounts (for use through AiCloud), as per the description stating:
"Smart Access gets the settings of your Network Place such as user accounts, share folders, and other."
I guess those are different "user accounts" than what I thought.

Samba is a (mighty) file server and client, read about it.
In the router case it's a server with permissive settings. You could create users and shares on the router and have clients connect to them tied to the shares given.
Samba can run on it's own, without other services activated.

Thanks for the quick reply...I should've asked a week ago.

But does the ability to set up multiple accounts under Samba serve any purpose at this point in time? Or is it just there because Asus intended to get that set up the way I want to use it (per my original post), but hasn't fully implemented it yet? If the multiple accounts can be used in some fashion, I'd appreciate being told how so that I can assess any benefits it may currently have.

I had thought Smart Access turned on provided the "access" to these accounts (for use through AiCloud), as per the description stating:
"Smart Access gets the settings of your Network Place such as user accounts, share folders, and other."
I guess those are different "user accounts" than what I thought.

Samba in itself is Windows File Sharing. Any Samba share can be mounted on a local client like any other Windows share.

SmartAccess is merely a web interface that gives access to your local SMB share, both from your PCs and your router.