What's new

SAMBA Share and MAster Browser......

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

edsyl

Occasional Visitor
Just wondering, and I have not seen a recent answer about this.
Just to clarify, to have the router act as a Master Browser, the SAMBA share MUST be enabled?

Just curious as in my WIN10 machines SMB1 is disabled. The only thing that seems to use it is my NAS.
I wanted to have the router as Master browser but it seems not to work with share off.
Just want to know what others have seen?
Cheers
Ed

The change log for 384.5 says:
Code:
   - CHANGED: From now on, setting the router to act as a master
              browser or a WINS server will also require you to
              enable sharing.  This will ensure that users understand
              that enabling either of these settings requires disk
              sharing to also be enabled (which it was already
              silently doing before).

Just wondering, and I have not seen a recent answer about this.
Just to clarify, to have the router act as a Master Browser, the SAMBA share MUST be enabled?

Just curious as in my WIN10 machines SMB1 is disabled. The only thing that seems to use it is my NAS.
I wanted to have the router as Master browser but it seems not to work with share off.
Just want to know what others have seen?
Cheers
Ed

Master browser capabilities require SMBv1. If your client have it disabled, then they won't be able to browse the available computers, regardless of what master browser you are using.

What you need rather is WS Discovery capabilities, which works without SMBv1, and will be available in 384.12.

What you need rather is WS Discovery capabilities, which works without SMBv1, and will be available in 384.12.

What are the mechanics of this WS Discovery? Is it a particular port that handles the queries of the shares kept track of in the router?
I'm not sure how this works.
Thanks

What are the mechanics of this WS Discovery? Is it a particular port that handles the queries of the shares kept track of in the router?
Thanks
You just need to know it works very well with just smb2 enabled on the router.
However, any router is a poor substitute for a good NAS!

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Thanks

WS Discovery is another protocol that can scan a network, querying devices for services they are offering. wsdd2 is a daemon that now runs on the router, that answers WD Discovery requests sent to the router, and returns the Samba information. Windows clients by default are capable of scanning a network using that protocol.

upload_2019-6-14_16-42-11.png

Now we just need some NAS manufacturers to start implementing it on their products (Asustor doesn't as you can see Alexandria doesn't appear in the Computers section, I didn't check if my QNAP did).