What's new

Samba share name change does not take effect

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Boomeral

New Around Here
Hello All,

I have Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.382_52651 running on RT-AC3200 router.
I have changed the device name to MyHardDrive in Samba share. After the change, I have clicked the "Apply" button, and later restarted the router.
I still cannot access the Samba share by \\MyHardDrive. However, I can access it with \\RT-AC3200-1600 which is the factory default name.

Is there any work around it so the new name can take effect?

Thanks in advance for any comment or help.

Welcome to the forums @Boomeral.

Did you try rebooting the device that you're trying to connect with too?

Sorry, it isn't clear... did that fix the issue?

Here is the solution: Do not use unapproved character in the Samba-share name. What are unapproved characters? It is good question with no oblivious answer - only Asus programmers know it.

Out of curiosity, I changed the underscore (_) character to the hyphen (-) in the name I was using, and now the share name is accessible. In my original post, I had the name as MyHardDrive; it was My_HardDrive. Now it is My-HardDrive which works.

One bad thing about this renaming is that the default name RT-AC3200-1600 is still usable. So now I can access my Samba share by \\My-HardDrive or \\RT-AC3200-1600 - not the result I was hoping for. It may be a lead for the hackers to try and break-in.