What's new

Samsung TV not detecting 5Ghz on Asus DSL-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GameStoned

New Around Here
Hi there,

I have a Asus DSL-N66U router (https://www.asus.com/ae-en/Networking/DSLN66U/specifications/)

I'm trying to connect on 5Ghz network from the router with my Samsung MU8000 TV (https://www.samsung.com/ae/support/model/UA55MU8000KXZN/#spec). I have a PPPOE connection through LAN. The TV connects to 2.4Ghz fine & streams but buffers because it's a 20Mbps connection. I would like to connect with 5Ghz & both bands are setup as same SSID name. I checked with Samsung & the TV supports 2.4 & 5ghz.

Distance from TV to router is 5ft. So seems like some settings issue. Could you let me know what to look for?

Other devices live my Laptop connects to 5Ghz fine but the TV doesn't show the network at all. Could you help out & let me know if there is anything wrong. My TV shows other networks from neighbors.

Last edited:
which channel do you use, maybe 149+ and your TV doesnt support it (here in EU 149+ are not supported by clients).
change to ch. 36 and try again.

Also give it different ssid to see if it makes a difference.

@GameStoned I have the same issue with my Hisense TV. It's because the TV doesn't support DFS channels. Change the router to use channels from 36 to 48 (or 149+ if that's valid in the UAE).

@GameStoned I have the same issue with my Hisense TV. It's because the TV doesn't support DFS channels. Change the router to use channels from 36 to 48 (or 149+ if that's valid in the UAE).

Or wire it.

OE

The key to your symptoms is that the Samsung does not see your network. I concur with others, it could be a channel problem.

I have a Samsung TV, though a different model, and no WiFi issue. However, I don't stream across the WiFi. My Samsung is connected to an AppleTV via HDMI. My backup is a digital antenna. My Samsung's WiFi is just used to check for software updates.

hello all, thanks for all your support. Here is what I tried yesterday.

1) Checked the channel & it was showing 36 for 5Ghz & 10 for 2.4Ghz
2) Changed the SSID name from XXX to XXX_5G
3) Still didn't see the channel (Didn't change the channel)
4) Left the settings as it is & got a 3Mtr Cat6 LAN cable & connected to the router back port. Seems like streaming services like Netflix, Prime & IPTV loads faster now.
5) Checked TV firmware & seems like it's updated to recent one.

I'm trying to get another router & will do a check for the same.

Meanwhile, does changing the channel affect other devices which are on 5Ghz? That's one of the reasons why I didn't change the channel.

they should take the SSID on all channels, never been a problem here. Its only that not all devices accept all channels as 12/13 in US is forbidden or 149-165 in EU and DFS channels 52-144 sometimes not supported.

hello all, thanks for all your support. Here is what I tried yesterday.

1) Checked the channel & it was showing 36 for 5Ghz & 10 for 2.4Ghz
2) Changed the SSID name from XXX to XXX_5G
3) Still didn't see the channel (Didn't change the channel)
4) Left the settings as it is & got a 3Mtr Cat6 LAN cable & connected to the router back port. Seems like streaming services like Netflix, Prime & IPTV loads faster now.
5) Checked TV firmware & seems like it's updated to recent one.

I'm trying to get another router & will do a check for the same.

Meanwhile, does changing the channel affect other devices which are on 5Ghz? That's one of the reasons why I didn't change the channel.
If the Samsung is the only device that does not see your WiFi network, why try another router? Perhaps you should first try to perform a factory reset on the router and reconfigure.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!