What's new

Save names prior to hard reset?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yarzy

Occasional Visitor
Is there a way to backup (and restore) just the names assigned to the different MAC addresses on my network prior to a hard reset in the Merlin firmware? Someone asked this prior but I think they were on the stock Asus firmware so I am wondering if Merlin opens up more options. I have like 60+ items on my network and I would love not to have to redo all of those names each hard reset. Thanks so much!

I don't know if it varies across models, but on the RT-AX88U they are stored in jffs\nvram\custom_clientlist

on/jffs/nvram/, backup the file "custom_clientlist" then after reset copy the file to the same folder.
you can backup/restore such files via terminal , my fav is WINscp windows app, you can just drag the file to your desktop then drag it back to the router.

Via terminal, use this command to backup ;
cp -rf /jffs/nvram/custom_clientlist /mnt/your-usb-name/
to restore file ;
cp -rf /mnt/your-usb-name/custom_clientlist /jffs/nvram/

Is there a way to backup (and restore) just the names assigned to the different MAC addresses on my network prior to a hard reset in the Merlin firmware? Someone asked this prior but I think they were on the stock Asus firmware so I am wondering if Merlin opens up more options. I have like 60+ items on my network and I would love not to have to redo all of those names each hard reset. Thanks so much!
Two options

This one can be installed and run directly from AMTM.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!