What's new

Save Router settings with command prompt

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

EmanuelPSilva

New Around Here
I'm looking for a solution to implement scheduled router backups (Router settings).

My question is: The file I get with the command 'nvram save' is the same I get in the router web page 'Administration/Router settings/Save' (does it have all router info to a eventual restore from factory reset)?

Or instead should I use the 'nvram-save.sh' utility?

NOTE 1: I preferr use use the internal nvram tool as this is automatically updated with the router firmware and is much more faster :D

NOTE 2: jffs backup is not an issue because I only have to make a tar of dir '/jffs'

Thanks
Emanuel

You need both save/backup approaches:
- Direct Router based save (e.g. via GUI) to restore all settings (user and system/hidden ones)
- Only User Entered settings via John's NVRAM save/restore tool

The full/direct save is good for restoring the exactly same state when you restore also the same(!) firmware version as the save was done from!

The user only settings are needed when you change(!) the firmware and want to apply the user config to the new firmware - but not the system/hidden settings from the old firmware version!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!