What's new

Save settings not into a CFG file?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

delikid

New Around Here
(I have searched the forums looking for an answer.)

Is there a way to save any of the router settings not into an unreadable config file from an RT-AX86U? I am looking for a way to save at least something into a readable file. I'm planning on moving to Asuswrt-Merlin would mean starting all over again with those processes.

Is this just the pain of migrating to a non-stock firmware?

Thanks for any wisdoms you can share.

Just flash Asuswrt-Merlin on top. Reset to defaults only if something is off. Asuswrt-Merlin is modified stock Asuswrt. You can extract NVRAM contents, but it's not very useful. Take screenshots of your more advanced settings. Standard settings are all the same. Some defaults are different only.

Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5_2 is the best release in my opinion based on my personal tests. Use Asuswrt-Merlin only if you need advanced VPN configurations or you want to run custom scripts. Current Asuswrt 388_20566 contains almost everything else, including VPN Fusion with WireGuard in GUI.

Just flash Asuswrt-Merlin on top. Reset to defaults only if something is off.
If coming from a relatively recent stock firmware, the main thing that may require you to reconfigure or reset will be anything related to VPN configurations, as we have fairly different implementations. The rest of the firmware settings will be compatible, I handle the very few cases where stock settings need to be upgraded/converted to my own code. The same cannot be said however when going back to stock.

This is valid for 386. I don't know yet if this is also valid for 388.

the main thing that may require you to reconfigure or reset will be anything related to VPN configurations, as we have fairly different implementations.

This is what I found with OpenVPN Server + advertise DNS + Internet to clients:

Asuswrt 386 to Asuswrt-Merlin -> OpenVPN server is off, has to be enabled, no change on clients, router reboot
Asuswrt 388 to Asuswrt-Merlin -> OpenVPN server is off, has to be reconfigured, ovpn file export to clients, router reboot

Everything else seems to be working properly and no reset to factory defaults is needed.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!