What's new

Saving and restoring router settings impossible???

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dkwalton

New Around Here
Problem 1) Saving router configuration settings.

I can't believe this is a problem and can find no other references to it after several searches.

I am using Asuswrt-Merlin firmware (RT-N66U_380.70_0.trx) on an RT-N66U. (The Asuswrt stock firmware also has this same problem.) The router is set up in AP mode.

Administration > Restore/Save/Upload Setting > Router settings >Save setting

The file that pops up to be saved has no extension. It is named "Settings_RT-N66U." If I save it and then try to restore it, an error pop up occurs --

File format or path invalid!

If I rename the file to Settings_RT-N66U.cfg I get the same error trying to restore that.

What gives? Both the stock firmware from Asus and Asuswrt-Merlin are dysfunctional? I am really quite astonished that this simple task is impossible to accomplish.

Problem 2) Saving JFFS Partition

When an upload of a the backup of a JFFS partition (backup_jffs.tar) the

Uploading, please wait...

swirly message never ends.

Last edited:
In addition to the "what browser" question Gary_Dexter asked, are you using a computer that is connected to the router via Ethernet or via WiFi? If WiFi, try Ethernet instead. Have you tried a different computer?

I am using Asuswrt-Merlin firmware (RT-N66U_380.70_0.trx) on an RT-N66U. (The Asuswrt stock firmware also has this same problem.) The router is set up in AP mode.
I've done this numerous times on the N66U and other models and it's never been a problem. As other's have said, this is a PC issue. Try using your browser in "private" mode.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I connected via cable, but that made no difference. It is the Firefox browser that is at fault! I first thought it might be an extension, so I turned them all off. But that did not work either.

Using a private window in Firefox also does not work. I cannot think of a setting in Firefox that would cause such behavior, so I logged in using the Google Chrome browser. Voila!

So, problem solved, sort of. It annoys me no end that Firefox has this dysfunction. It does not occur in any other WiFi router firmware I have used -- dd-wrt, OpenWrt and Fresh Tomato.

So it goes; if it isn't one thing, it is another playing around with router firmware.

It’s been posted on here numerous times before that FireFox likes to change/amend file extensions for some things.

Well, Mr. Dexter, I did numerous searches but could find nothjng that mentioned this problem or Firefox. Evidently my search terms were inadequate. Firefox has disappointed me on several issues since they rewrote it, but I have been using it for nearly 20 years. I suppose I should move over to Chrome.

Last edited:
Well, Mr. Dexter, I did numerous searches but could find nothjng that mentioned this problem or Firefox. Evidently my search terms were inadequate. Firefox has disappointed me on several issues since they rewrote it,
but I have been using it for nearly 20 years. I suppose I should move over to Chrome.
FYI an example search using "firefox cfg":
https://www.snbforums.com/search/71...t&c[child_nodes]=1&c[nodes][0]=42&o=relevance
Lots of past discussion on Firefox incorrectly saving files from the Asus-Merlin GUI.
Even a thread from 2017...
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/cant-save-router-settings-how-can-i-fix.41246/

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!