What's new

Scheduled reboot different to reboot via UI or 'service reboot' ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

alan6854321

Is a scheduled reboot some how different to a reboot via other means. e.g. via the UI or 'service reboot' command?

I decided to setup the reboot scheduler a few weeks ago, so I've gone through 3 of them now (Early Sunday mornings).
On each occasion, there were odd problems that a 'normal' reboot via the UI fixed.

On one occasion, the 5G network slowly ground to a halt, after around 24 hours clients could connect to it, but throughput was incredibly slow.

This morning, I had 'restart_letsencrypt' entries in syslog every 5 minutes (I posted another thread about it), also I noticed that the red 'internet' light was on the router and the UI said 'WAN Disconnected' (It wasn't - everything was working fine).
Restart internet connection, web interface and DDNS client from the scMerlin page made no difference, but a reboot from the UI did.

Any idea what might be going on?
I've switched off the reboot schedule for now, seems to do more harm than good.

I have no idea if there is a substantial difference (I doubt it), but if you're satisfied w/ the results of using the 'service reboot' command, it's easy enough to create your own cronjob.

Code:
cru a reboot "0 6 * * * /sbin/service 'reboot'" # reboot everyday @ 6:00 AM

You would need to make it persistent using a services-start script.

I have no idea if there is a substantial difference (I doubt it), but if you're satisfied w/ the results of using the 'service reboot' command, it's easy enough to create your own cronjob.

Code:
cru a reboot "0 6 * * * /sbin/service 'reboot'" # reboot everyday @ 6:00 AM

You would need to make it persistent using a services-start script.

Yeah, I already had that as a 'cunning plan'.
But, it'd be nice to know why the "scheduled reboot" system doesn't produce the same result. I mean, they really should be the same.