What's new

Scheduled Reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gatorback

Regular Contributor
I need to schedule a router reboot because the ISP is changing the account over and could change the WAN IP address on January 3. I will need to be able to remotely access the device to ensure that the cable company did not goober up the transition. If the WAN IP is changed by the ISP on the modem, it is not clear how often the router's DDNS check's to ensure that WAN IP entry is current. If the DDNS entry is not current when I try test (SSH), then the test will fail: at no-fault of the ISP.

The router is remote: if possible I'd like to keep it simple and use any existing firmware UI to schedule this (378.55 on an RTAC68U) and avoid setting up a cron job. I looked through the menus: maybe I missed this setting?

That's a pretty ancient firmware version. I don't know when it was introduced (or it might be specific to John's fork) but on my firmware the scheduled reboot is at Administration > System > Miscellaneous.

If you don't have that option then setting up a user script should be fairly straight forward. Remember to make the script executable and check that it works beforehand. ;)

EDIT: Your remote access is dependent on them having a working internet connection, so you could just ask somebody at that end to type "whats my ip" into Google at it will tell them.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!