What's new

Scribe and aimesh node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

maghuro

Very Senior Member
I've an idea.
I'd love to receive my aimesh node (rt-ac86u) logs on my main router. And using scribe, put them in a separate window.

Is that possible? I know there's some kind of server/slave log thingy but I don't know where to start.

---
Also, my qnap has the same log server thing. I'd be great if I could also receive them on my router and put them in a separate window.

Thanks in advance for who kindly helps.

It is entirely possible -- I have mine setup that way. The aimesh node forwards all log entries to the router, which uses syslog-ng (scribe) to organize them.

As best I recall, here's how I did it.

I installed Merlin on the aimesh node, then SSH'd to the node and enabled scripts:
nvram set jffs2_scripts="1"
nvram commit

I created a services-start script on the aimesh node with the following content (this kills syslogd and restarts it with forwarding to the router):
#!/bin/sh
PID=`ps | grep "syslogd" | grep -v "grep" | awk '{print $1}'`
'kill "$PID"`
/sbin/syslogd -m 0 -S -O /tmp/syslog.log -s 256 -l 6 -L -R 192.168.1.1
# (substitute your router's IP above if not 192.168.1.1)

Then I changed /opt/etc/syslog-ng.conf to process the remote source messages from the node:
add a new line source net { network( transport(udp) ); };
below the existing source(src); line, add a new line with source(net);

Now go to /opt/etc/syslog-ng.d, and add a source(net); line to any of the files you want to process the messages from aimesh.

Hope that helps.

It's easier than that. There are several threads here on it.

On each, set your main router as a remote server destination. On the main router, create a source (net), include that in the main cycle, and then create a configuration triad to separate by node.

It is entirely possible -- I have mine setup that way. The aimesh node forwards all log entries to the router, which uses syslog-ng (scribe) to organize them.

As best I recall, here's how I did it.

I installed Merlin on the aimesh node, then SSH'd to the node and enabled scripts:
nvram set jffs2_scripts="1"
nvram commit

I created a services-start script on the aimesh node with the following content (this kills syslogd and restarts it with forwarding to the router):
#!/bin/sh
PID=`ps | grep "syslogd" | grep -v "grep" | awk '{print $1}'`
'kill "$PID"`
/sbin/syslogd -m 0 -S -O /tmp/syslog.log -s 256 -l 6 -L -R 192.168.1.1

# (substitute your router's IP above if not 192.168.1.1)

Then I changed /opt/etc/syslog-ng.conf to process the remote source messages from the node:
add a new line source net { network( transport(udp) ); };
below the existing source(src); line, add a new line with source(net);

Now go to /opt/etc/syslog-ng.d, and add a source(net); line to any of the files you want to process the messages from aimesh.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your detailed help!

I followed step by step, made some minimal adjustments for my particular case, and it's working flawlessly.
Is it possible to do the same for a QNAP?

@elorimer thank you also! However, believe if you want, I don't have a spare USB stick to install entware on aimesh node 😂

You don't need entware on a node.

ssh into the node, change the nvram variable for the remote logger, commit, and that's it.

You don't need entware on a node.

ssh into the node, change the nvram variable for the remote logger, commit, and that's it.
Wow so I read wrong on that thread.

Despite of that, the solution provided earlier did the trick for me....
If I had more than one node, I'd do that way. But as I only have one, and don't planing to have another one, the first solution was good :)

Thank you both!

Yes, the solution in the thread is I think more complicated than necessary, even if you are doing heavy discarding of messages from the node. The main router can handle a lot more than it has to.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!