What's new

Scribe Scribe "Grep" Error Has Recently Appeared?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Stephen Harrington

Very Senior Member
Is anyone else seeing a Scribe cli error after the most recent updates to Entware and/or upgrading to Merlin 388.1?
Can't pin down when it changed exactly but now when I run an "s" command for "Show scribe status" it mostly appears to be OK but mixed in there I get a

Code:
grep: warning: stray \ before /

error, as below:-

View attachment 46570

Things still SEEM to be OK in the logs and UIScribe displays, so maybe I can just ignore it, but can anyone confirm they are seeing the same and/or how I might fix it please?

Is anyone else seeing a Scribe cli error after the most recent updates to Entware and/or upgrading to Merlin 388.1?
Can't pin down when it changed exactly but now when I run an "s" command for "Show scribe status" it mostly appears to be OK but mixed in there I get a

Code:

error, as below:-

View attachment 46570

Things still SEEM to be OK in the logs and UIScribe displays, so maybe I can just ignore it, but can anyone confirm they are seeing the same and/or how I might fix it please?
Hi Stephen,

I did noticed the same error a few days ago when I have installed Entware, Skynet and Scribe for the first time:

1671760691912.png

And, like you, since it did not seem to be preventing both Scribe and uiScribe to works then I just decided to ignore it.

I did noticed the same error a few days ago when I have installed Entware, Skynet and Scribe for the first time:
Thanks for the confirmation. In my case my Scribe config has been stable for a very, very long time but what HAS changed is the recent batch of Entware updates, and then a couple of days later I did a dirty 386.7_2 => 388.1 upgrade. As I don't often go looking at the AMTM scribe cli I'm not sure which action partially "broke" it.

but you can experiment with this line and remove the \
Thanks @dave14305, that worked and made the error go away.
I now get a message that "Minor scribe update available" but I guess that is because I've changed the file length and/or checksum?
Regardless, thanks for your help!

Thanks @dave14305, that worked and made the error go away.
I now get a message that "Minor scribe update available" but I guess that is because I've changed the file length and/or checksum?
Regardless, thanks for your help!
Hi Stephen,

Noob question/inquiry: Did you make the suggested change via the Scribe Utilities?

Did you make the suggested change via the Scribe Utilities?
No, I edited the actual scribe script via SSH at /jffs/scripts/scribe and then restarted Scribe.

Also, if you want to NOT see the "Minor scribe update available" message you can comment out line 419 as a quick and dirty fix.
Given the last update on the project by @cmkelley was June 2020 maybe they will see this thread, chime in and do a quick "official" fix and bump us to 2.4.4 ?

Edit: I've submitted an "Issue" for this on the project Github page:-

https://github.com/cynicastic/scribe/issues/24

Last edited:
No, I edited the actual scribe script via SSH at /jffs/scripts/scribe and then restarted Scribe.

Also, if you want to NOT see the "Minor scribe update available" message you can comment out line 419 as a quick and dirty fix.
Given the last update on the project by @cmkelley was June 2020 maybe they will see this thread, chime in and do a quick "official" fix and bump us to 2.4.4 ?
I am using PuTTY and could not figured out how to directly edit the scribe script...

I am using PuTTY and could not figured out how to directly edit the scribe script...
I'm on a Mac and do it via SCP with a GUI Editor called SecureFX, but that won't help you! :D

I think the "nano" editor is installed by default on Merlin, so once you PuTTY in, you should be able to do a:-

Code:
nano --linenumbers /jffs/scripts/scribe

The only thing that is going on here is editing the syslog-ng.conf file to bring the syslog-ng version up to date. You can ignore the error and edit the file directly; if there is a version mismatch syslog-ng runs in a compatibility mode. But there are very few things in newer versions relevant to us, the last being the network() drivers, I think.

Also, if this line is changing, we should allow for the change to 4.0.1 around the corner. Will that line still work?

Last edited:

Code:
This might be a symptom of the same problem I described here in this post.

I'd recommend double-checking the "PATH" environment variable just to be sure it's not a system-wide issue.

My 2 cents.

My 2 cents.
Thanks, good call, appreciate it!
At a quick glance it would appear my PATH variable is indeed "wrong" and needs some attention.

This might be a symptom of the same problem I described here in this post.

I'd recommend double-checking the "PATH" environment variable just to be sure it's not a system-wide issue.

My 2 cents.
Having looked now, I have the /opt paths in both the beginning and the end, and I see how the profile seems to add it at the beginning. I see how you change it to be at the end in the other post, but not sure why you changed the CHECK PROFILE from 0 to 1.

Is the consensus that Entware is wrong here?

Having looked now, I have the /opt paths in both the beginning and the end, and I see how the profile seems to add it at the beginning. I see how you change it to be at the end in the other post, but not sure why you changed the CHECK PROFILE from 0 to 1.
You're most likely referring to the "CHECK_OPT_PATH" variable in the profile. Setting it to 1 means that the check for duplication will prevent the profile from appending or prepending (depending on the current PATH assignment statement) another set of "/opt/..." directory paths to the PATH environment variable if they're already included.

Note that in recent F/W versions (I don't know exactly when this change was introduced) the "/opt/..." directory paths are already appended toward the end of the default PATH definition, so there's no need to add them *again* for every interactive shell session *unless* you intentionally (for some reason) want to append/prepend the paths every single time, regardless of the default PATH definition. This is most likely the reason why you're currently seeing the "/opt/.." paths *both* at the beginning and at the end of your current PATH environment.

Is the consensus that Entware is wrong here?
There is still a disagreement. See the discussion on this thread here.

As I stated in my follow-up response, it's ultimately up to you to make an informed decision (based on available data points and one's comfort level with Linux CLI) and choose the solution that you believe fits your needs & preferences the best.

Note that in recent F/W versions (I don't know exactly when this change was introduced) the "/opt/..." directory paths are already appended toward the end of the default PATH definition...
Nothing has changed. The /opt directories have always been included at the end of the path (for both interactive and non-interactive environments) since the very first Merlin release 10 years ago. I'd guess that it was inherited from the Tomato code that asuswrt is based on.

Nothing has changed. The /opt directories have always been included at the end of the path (for both interactive and non-interactive environments) since the very first Merlin release 10 years ago. I'd guess that it was inherited from the Tomato code that asuswrt is based on.
OK, that's good to know. Thanks for the clarification.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online