1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

[script] Current Download/Upload WAN speed

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by berez, Jun 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. berez

berez Occasional Visitor

Hi,

is there possible to get information about current Download/Upload WAN speed? I would use bash script.

Vexira likes this.
  2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

Probably. What sort of information do you want exactly?

4. berez

berez Occasional Visitor

This speed value, or other similar current speed value...

Attached Files:

5. Martineau

Martineau Very Senior Member

For download speed testing
    Code:
    curl  http://proof.ovh.net/files/100Mb.dat -w "%{time_connect},%{time_total},%{speed_download},%{http_code},%{size_download},%{url_effective}\n" -o /dev/null
    and while the above is useful when run interactively, you can suppress the progress indicator to have only the '.csv' result line returned for piping/parsing out to a file for later analysis using scripting:
    Code:
    curl  -s http://proof.ovh.net/files/100Mb.dat -w "%{time_connect},%{time_total},%{speed_download},%{http_code},%{size_download},%{url_effective}\n" -o /dev/null
    If you choose an appropriate Upload test site then the same technique can be used for Upload speed testing

6. berez

berez Occasional Visitor

I want get current speed-stats. No possible speed. Example: if my PC #1 downoads current 1mbps and second PC is downloading now 2mbps then value have to shows 3mbps as current download speed from WAN.

7. ColinTaylor

Speed is a function of time. So you have to decide what time period you are measuring, 1 millisecond, 1 second, 10 seconds, etc.

This command will give you the total number of bytes downloaded and uploaded at that point in time. If you wait for your desired sampling period (say 1 second) and issue the command again you can subtract one from the other giving you the rate.

Code:
    ifconfig $(nvram get wan0_ifname) | grep "RX bytes" | awk -F[:\(] '{print $2 $4}'

8. berez

berez Occasional Visitor

Thanks - great solution.

What is the best way to "transfer" these values to another debian-based device (rapsberry pi)?

I see two solutions
    1. Install mosquito service on the router, and then "publish" (by mosquitto_pub command) values to rapsberry pi.

or

2. Create script on rapsberry pi, script will do:
    - logon to router by ssh
    - execute @ColinTaylor command

maybe any other ideas?

9. kfp

kfp Very Senior Member

Probably easier to use SNMP if you need this data on another device. Note that the RX+TX number on WAN interface (br0) would wrap after 4GB because Broadcom/Asus is funny that way.

10. ColinTaylor

I'd never heard of mosquito so can't comment on that.

I do something similar with QoS bandwidth data. I have a script that runs continuously on the router. Every 2 seconds it collects the data and appends it to a file together with a timestamp. Then I have another process that periodically runs on a Centos server that logs into the router with FTP and transfers the file. The file is fed into an RRD database and displayed as a graph on a web page.

EDIT: @kfp suggestion is probably a better solution, although it's not appropriate in my specific situation :(.

Whatever solution you choose should ultimately by driven by the data; frequency, format, accuracy, resilience, etc.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!