What's new

Script to reboot when WAN detected as down

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bitmonster

Asus RT-86u running Merlin
Every now and then - like every day or so the router just loses connectivity. I have been trying in vain to scour logs for a while with no idea why. A reboot seems to fix it.
This was then running fine with a daily reboot set to 5am. Except now it dropped out after 9 hours. Unfortunately this latest outage has occurred while I am at work so I can't remote in to see what's going on but I assume a reboot as usual would fix it.
Is there any way to install a script to detect a WAN outage? Say pinging a specified site every 10 minutes or so and then rebooting the router if an outage is detected.
I don't know why the router doesn't just reconnect and needs to be rebooted, quite frustrating but anyway.

Asus RT-86u running Merlin
Every now and then - like every day or so the router just loses connectivity. I have been trying in vain to scour logs for a while with no idea why. A reboot seems to fix it.
This was then running fine with a daily reboot set to 5am. Except now it dropped out after 9 hours. Unfortunately this latest outage has occurred while I am at work so I can't remote in to see what's going on but I assume a reboot as usual would fix it.
Is there any way to install a script to detect a WAN outage? Say pinging a specified site every 10 minutes or so and then rebooting the router if an outage is detected.
I don't know why the router doesn't just reconnect and needs to be rebooted, quite frustrating but anyway.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/need-a-script-that-auto-reboot-if-internet-is-down.43819/

There is an update now on GitHub in this later post.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/n...-if-internet-is-down.43819/page-3#post-496987

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!