What's new

Script to remove dcd crashes from system log

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cmkelley

Very Senior Member
Finally got tired of seeing them; I have little faith Trend Micro or Asus will correct anytime soon. Add the following line to /jffs/scripts/post-mount
Code:
cru a dcd_crash "*/10 * * * * /jffs/scripts/rm_dcd_crash /tmp/syslog.log" #remove dcd crash lines from syslog
Replace /tmp/syslog.log with /opt/var/log/messages (or wherever you're redirecting syslog to) if you're using syslog-ng. Runs every 10 minutes, adjust to your liking.

File: /jffs/scripts/rm_dcd_crash (make sure you 'chmod +x rm_dcd_crash' after you create it)
Code:
#!/bin/sh
# remove dcd crash lines from system log

/bin/sed -i '/kernel: dcd/,/kernel: x1 /d' $1
Thought: maybe should have just put the sed command in the cru line instead of calling a script? I dunno, works this way and I know where to look if I want to duplicate it for something else.

Last edited:
I use similar code to "chop" out cron entries where I have things that run every 5 minutes.

I prefer cron to a looping script, the latter would at least not be noisy though!

If you are using syslog-ng, why wouldn't you do it in your .conf file instead? Set a filter for the messages to drop, and then use the final flag per the example given for dropping debug messages:

Code:
filter demo_debugfilter { level(debug); };
log { source(s_all); filter(demo_debugfilter); flags(final); };
I don't think I'm a fan of having these destructive sed commands running frequently when syslog might be writing to the file at the same time. Or maybe worse, if skynet is running its destructive sed at the top of the hour.

If you are using syslog-ng, why wouldn't you do it in your .conf file instead? Set a filter for the messages to drop, and then use the final flag per the example given for dropping debug messages:

Code:
filter demo_debugfilter { level(debug); };
log { source(s_all); filter(demo_debugfilter); flags(final); };
I don't think I'm a fan of having these destructive sed commands running frequently when syslog might be writing to the file at the same time. Or maybe worse, if skynet is running its destructive sed at the top of the hour.
Because so far I haven't found a readable guide to setting up syslog-ng. It's on the list of things to to do. Also note my solution doesn't require syslog-ng, so it's usable for people who aren't.

Also, that sed removes all 17 lines of the dcd crash in one fell swoop. Perhaps it's just as easy with a properly setup syslog-ng configuration? Some day I'll get to figuring it out.

Last edited:
@cmkelley I quite follow your thinking. The administrator guide is over my head: https://www.syslog-ng.com/technical...open-source-edition/3.19/administration-guide

It would be something like:

Code:
filter drop_dcd {  message(dcd)  };
log { source(src); filter(drop_dcd);  flags(final);  };
Before the last log statement. And then it would be stripping out each dcd line as it arrived, instead of sed grabbing the file, processing it, and then rewriting it. I don't know what happens during that time if some other chron job wants to sed the same file or syslog-ng wants to write to it.

Finally got tired of seeing them; I have little faith Trend Micro or Asus will correct anytime soon. Add the following line to /jffs/scripts/post-mount
Code:
cru a dcd_crash "*/10 * * * * /jffs/scripts/rm_dcd_crash /tmp/syslog.log #remove dcd crash lines from syslog"
Replace /tmp/syslog.log with /opt/var/log/messages (or wherever you're redirecting syslog to) if you're using syslog-ng. Runs every 10 minutes, adjust to your liking.

File: /jffs/scripts/rm_dcd_crash (make sure you 'chmod +x rm_dcd_crash' after you create it)
Code:
#!/bin/sh

Thought: maybe should have just put the sed command in the cru line instead of calling a script? I dunno, works this way and I know where to look if I want to duplicate it for something else.
Just a thought, but to avoid possible conflict with the hourly (on the hour) Skynet cleanup, might the following be safer?
Code:
cru a dcd_crash "2,12,22,32,42,52 * * * * /jffs/scripts/rm_dcd_crash /tmp/syslog.log #remove dcd crash lines from syslog"

Just a thought, but to avoid possible conflict with the hourly (on the hour) Skynet cleanup, might the following be safer?
Code:
cru a dcd_crash "2,12,22,32,42,52 * * * * /jffs/scripts/rm_dcd_crash /tmp/syslog.log #remove dcd crash lines from syslog"
Maybe. I've been using it for a couple weeks with no ill effects, but that could be just dumb luck.

Trying to get this working on my AC86U since the dcd crashes make a mess of the syslog when trying to keep on eye on IoT devices and keep them corralled.

Thanks for this, I get the dcd errors still in syslog and this error trying to run the script manually.

/jffs/scripts# ./rm_dcd_crash
Code:
sed: -i requires an argument

/tmp/home/root# cat /jffs/scripts/post-mount
Code:
#!/bin/sh
. /jffs/scripts/post-mount.div # Added by Diversion
swapon /tmp/mnt/SNB/myswap.swp # Swap file created by amtm
cru a dcd_crash "*/10 * * * * /jffs/scripts/rm_dcd_crash /tmp/syslog.log #remove dcd crash lines from
syslog"

/tmp/home/root# cat /jffs/scripts/rm_dcd_crash
Code:
#!/bin/sh

Code:
-rwxrwxrwx    1 admin root            99 Feb  5 13:43 rm_dcd_crash

Trying to get this working on my AC86U since the dcd crashes make a mess of the syslog when trying to keep on eye on IoT devices and keep them corralled.

Thanks for this, I get the dcd errors still in syslog and this error trying to run the script manually.

Code:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
cru a dcd_crash "*/10 * * * * /jffs/scripts/rm_dcd_crash /tmp/syslog.log #remove dcd crash lines from
syslog"

Code:
#!/bin/sh

Code:
Re. Manual, the error tells you exactly the issue

Note the cron command:

/jffs/scripts/rm_dcd_crash /tmp/syslog.log

Code:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
syslog"

Code:
#!/bin/sh

Code:
You need to whole thing:
Code:
# /jffs/scripts/rm_dcd_crash /tmp/syslog.log
The script expects you to pass it the name of the file to scrub. If you're not running a replacement for syslog (which you would know if you were), the above will work. The cru entry correctly adds /tmp/syslog.log

Ah, thanks. I've run Linux for years, just never got my head around scripting and passing arguments to scripts.

edit - whatever was causing the issues have been resolved. My syslog is clean now. I tried to get syslog-ng going some time ago, but it was a bear on my AC86U, but now it seems like those issues have been resolved so I will try again and then alter it to incorporate suggestions above.

Last edited:
Ah, thanks. I've run Linux for years, just never got my head around scripting and passing arguments to scripts.

edit - whatever was causing the issues have been resolved. My syslog is clean now. I tried to get syslog-ng going some time ago, but it was a bear on my AC86U, but now it seems like those issues have been resolved so I will try again and then alter it to incorporate suggestions above.
If I'm following you, your syslog is clean because you added the cru job. :) It runs every 10 minutes to sweep the syslog file.

If I'm following you, your syslog is clean because you added the cru job. :) It runs every 10 minutes to sweep the syslog file.
Yes, exactly, thank you. For some reason it initially did not run after about 40 minutes time, but I just did a restart of post-mount after my above failure trying to run the rm_dcd_crash script. This time I rebooted the router to let it setup and run automatically and it is doing a great job of cleaning my syslog. :thumbup:

You need to whole thing:
Code:
# /jffs/scripts/rm_dcd_crash /tmp/syslog.log
The script expects you to pass it the name of the file to scrub. If you're not running a replacement for syslog (which you would know if you were), the above will work. The cru entry correctly adds /tmp/syslog.log

I added:
/bin/sed -i '/kernel: dcd/,/kernel: x1 /d' $1 /tmp/syslog.log in rm_dcd_crash, saved the file and it does not ask for arguments. Also no ugly dcd lines show in log.

I added:
/bin/sed -i '/kernel: dcd/,/kernel: x1 /d' $1 /tmp/syslog.log in rm_dcd_crash, saved the file and it does not ask for arguments. Also no ugly dcd lines show in log.
Right, if you call it locally without any arguments the $1 is null so it's not there. If you call it from cru set up the way I said, then it gets called as
Code:
/bin/sed -i '/kernel: dcd/,/kernel: x1 /d'/tmp/syslog.log /tmp/syslog.log
I don't know if there are any side effects of passing it the same filename twice. If it goes through the list in series, no problem. If it tries to go through all files in parallel, it may have an issue.

have many have this error. from what i can see on my 86u is that i dont have them.

i´ve looked in System log > general log

is that the right place to see if i got the error

have many have this error. from what i can see on my 86u is that i dont have them.

i´ve looked in System log > general log

is that the right place to see if i got the error
Which firmware version are you using? If I recall correctly, it only shows up in recent firmware. And yes, the System Log is the correct place.

iam on 384.8_2

iam waiting with the installing of 384.9 so merlin can iron out all bugs :)
Pretty sure it's just 384.9, although I recall a thread where someone was starting to see them on the version you're using.

Most of the "bugs" aren't merlin's to iron out. The alpha/beta cycle squashed the vast majority of stuff he can fix.

dcd crashes are very much Trend Micro's / ASUS' to iron out; dcd is in the closed source binary blobs, not the GPL code. Nothing merlin can do about those.

Last edited:
are dcd crashes only an issue for people that use the trend micro features/agreement? I've not had this problem pop up yet