What's new

Scripts and the WebUI work ...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wrkdbf_Guy

Regular Contributor
As a bit of background, I am a retired IT software developer, so I know all about programming and development. But my career was on IBM midrange AS400's (aka iSeries, System i, etc.). But I am an inexperienced neophyte with web programming.

I have been working on modifying JGrana's arrismon script - basically adding login and password stuff because my Arris modem requires logins to capture the modem stats. So far shell scripting is going fine; it is straight forward for me. Even though I don't have experience with Linux, if I do enough internet research, I've been able to come up with the code needed to make arrismon do what I want to do. Cool.

So now I am ready to modify the WebUI components to capture these login and password credentials in the WebUI. But WOW this stuff is Greek. So far, I haven't been able to piece together enough to determine exactly how the various components - the script, the ASP and the JS - work together. Not wishing to get into too many details here is a post/thread, can anyone point me in the direction of some tutorials or URL links that I can go through to help me understand where to go from here?

Thanks, Bill

Arrismon is a small fork of modmon done by @Jack Yaz . Minor edits actually ;-)
I am also stumped by the javascript and .asp files.
One thing I have found is that using githubs View lets me at least read them fairly well. Using vi was a mess. I can view them better - still getting my head around the inter working though…

Maybe @Jack Yaz and @dave14305 can do a lesson on these files.

I would pay ;-)

Separating the JavaScript into a separate file from the ASP is not necessary, but seems to be a personal preference of Jack (to minify the JavaScript).