What's new

Seagate NAS OS - enable encryption on unsupported device?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lagrave

Regular Contributor
I have a LaCie 5big NAS Pro that runs NAS OS 4 (from Seagate/LaCie). The OS has support for volume encryption, see this page https://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/kb/nas-os-4x-setting-up-volume-encryption-006007en/ . However, my device doesn't support that option - that is, it doesn't appear when I run this setup guide.

My guess is that since my device originally came with NAS OS 3, that didn't support volume encryption, and the model had been discontinued when NAS OS 4 was released Seagate decided, for market reasons, to not include my device in the list of supported hardware. However, I see no technical reasons why my device wouldn't support encryption, except performance (but that has to be tested).

Any ideas how to work around this? I guess there is a flag somewhere that decides whether this option should be visible or not and I guess the easiest solution would be to set that flag to true and use the built in setup process. Otherwise I assume I have to go the command line way with LUKS etc and that is probably much more complicated, but if there are no other ways, I'll do that.

One problem I have is that I, although I looked "everywhere" really can't find neither the back- nor frontend that is used in the setup. I even tar:ed / and downloaded to another computer and grep:ed for some strings, to no avail. This is weird, since I can su to become root and should be able to read everything on this drive.