What's new

Seamless voip roaming test

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

paraplu

Regular Contributor
Mesh products are currently like popcorn. But how do they handle voip calls while moving around the area? A practice test on this subject would be interesting.

Mesh products are currently like popcorn. But how do they handle voip calls while moving around the area? A practice test on this subject would be interesting.

From a practical experience - Airport Extreme AC's do a nice job - both with "extended" networks over WiFi as well as "Roaming" networks backhauled over ethernet with a different router handling the WAN/LAN side...

The big thing, whether it's "mesh" or old school - proper placement of AP's is key, as the hops are basically client side, not the AP side... and mesh won't fix that - no matter how things are done between AP's, the location of the AP's is very important with respect to where the client is...

(upside with MESH - they basically do common SSID, and this is something that I've been a big proponent of anyways)

Fast roaming depends a lot on what the client supports. How many clients and which ones should be tested?

Fast roaming depends a lot on what the client supports. How many clients and which ones should be tested?

Well the most popular client would be iPhone/iPad, followed by recent Samsung Galaxy, I think. Both these devices do support roaming protocols. Business laptops, most with intel n/ac wifi chips, would be good candidates as well. The laptops I used roamed perfectly fine on Cisco office networks.
As for how many, for smaller offices I would guess three concurrent?

If I do this it will be simple. One device supporting 802.11 k, v, r and one that doesn't.

Fair enough. The roaming behavior of two voip clients while moving around the area would be interesting. Thanks.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!